Tuesday, April 12, 2011

High Fuel Prices

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 53 degrees, high 70 degrees, clear skies, breezy

The weather has cooled off again, much to Carolyn's delight. The low tonight is supposed to be near 40 degrees. Could this be the long awaited blackberry winter?

Last night was the worse for me in several weeks. It was difficult to sleep, and near morning, I started having problems breathing. That was the end of any sleep for me. I spent the morning lazing around, trying to get some energy up so I could do something productive. I will be glad when the pacemaker is installed. It may not solve all my problems, but I'm hopeful some of the symptoms will be relieved.

After lunch, I decided to go to town to run a few little errands that I have been putting off. Carolyn decided to stay at home, since my sleepless nights are starting to affect her.

My first stop was at Lowe's, where I bought some caulking. We need to do a little caulking around some windows, and I think I can do that if I take my time. In addition, I bought some weed and feed fertilizer for the lawn, since the weeds are making a serious attempt to take over. There were a couple other items I was going to get, but I thought the prices would be cheaper at the WalMart Mall.

Leaving Lowe's, I drove around the corner to the Mall. I was right about lower prices on the other items I needed, so it was a good decision to go the mall. It seemed as though there were a lot of cars in the parking lot, but the store didn't seem that busy.

On the way home, I stopped at a gas station to fill up with diesel. I try to fill up before I get below a half tank. That makes me feel a little better about the price of fuel, but not much. I paid $3.899 a gallon today, and that was about the cheapest around. It'll probably be higher tomorrow.

Speaking of fuel prices, why is it that the US does not take advantage of all the energy sources we have in our country, instead of sending all that money to countries that wish we would disappear from the face of the earth? It just doesn't make sense to me. Much like not controlling our borders doesn't make sense. Both political parties are to blame.

Back in 2008 when fuel prices got up to almost $5.00 a gallon, I began to think that the price would stay high from then on. Then, with the economy failing, prices went down to as low as $1.60 a gallon. I knew that wouldn't last, but it was nice for awhile. I wonder how low it will go in the future? It's hard to believe it will drop much.

Carolyn is getting good at cooking with low or no salt recipes. She uses a lot of spices to make up for the salt, and is even eating the same thing as me in an effort to make me feel better about what I have to eat. I appreciate her trying to eat like I do, but is there any reason for both of us to be miserable about the diet?

Tuesday night is one of the best nights for television as far as I'm concerned. NCIS is on, and starting tonight, the new episodes of Deadliest Catch begin. That's one of the best reality shows on television, and I admire what those guys do in cold, wet, dangerous conditions.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Childersburg, Alabama: The Oldest City In America…1540

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: