Thursday, April 3, 2008

Bogged Down

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 54 degrees, high 82 degrees, mostly clear all day

We are expecting some pretty heavy rain over the next couple of days. As a result, we decided to relocate the RV on our lot because the place we had it parked was soft and the RV was sinking noticeably. It had gotten so bad on the curb side that it felt like we were walking down hill inside the RV. We knew that if we waited until the rain was over, it would be so wet that we wouldn't be able to do anything with the RV for a couple of weeks or longer.

I hooked the truck up to the RV and started easing forward, knowing that if I gunned the engine, the rear tires on the truck might start spinning. Well, they started spinning anyway when I had moved about six inches. I stopped, got out, and looked at the situation. What I was faced with was a truck that is not four wheel drive, sitting on wet grass, hooked up to a 12,000 pound RV that was bogged down on the curb side. I though to myself, "This is not good." Understatement.

In an attempt to get some traction for the truck, I disconnected the RV and pulled forward enough to place some boards along the travel path. The RV was reconnected and movement forward resumed for another six inches. Okay, disconnecting, moving the truck, moving boards, reconnecting the truck worked the first time, right? Didn't work the second time. During all of this, the RV seemed to be sinking deeper, to the point that the curbside tires are down to the rims. Okay, get out of the truck, stand around and look at the situation again as though I have a clue about how to get out of this mess. Walk around, look at the sky, which seems to be getting more clouds all the time and sprinkles are falling. Scratch my head, look some more, try to look as though I am getting an idea. I did have an idea and it was that this was not going to work, and my first instincts were right that this situation was going bad.

But wait a minute. Now that I have shown that I can get something stuck, now I can show that I know how to get it unstuck. Call our road service provider!!!

The road service provider was called and a 50-ton wrecker arrived within an hour that had us winched out of the muck in about two minutes. A few minutes later, I had the RV in the new spot, and we were setting up. Why did I doubt that I would have problems getting out of that situation?

Thank God I have the road service. We have used it an average of once a year since 2002, and it has been worth every penny we spend on it.

I hope tomorrow is not as exciting. I'm wore out.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Reno, Nevada: The Biggest Little City In The World

Not all who wander are lost.

1 comment:

Joyce & Jerry said...

See yesterday's comments again. I added something there for you.