Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Chief Tuscaloosa

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 34 degrees, high 62 degrees, clear
Today was a beautiful day that started out cold but warmed up as the day went on. For my morning walk, I went into Tuscaloosa and walked on the Tuscaloosa Warrior Trail for the first time. The Trail is a very nice walking path that goes along the Black Warrior River. The river was named after Chief Tuscaloosa of the Choctaw Indian tribe. In the Choctaw language, Tuscaloosa means Black Warrior. There is a lot of history in the area, and much of it is remembered on plaques along the walk. Near one end of the Trail is Capitol Park, where the remains of the first capitol building in Alabama are located. Thus, Tuscaloosa was the first capitol in Alabama before it was moved to Montgomery. Unfortunately, I forgot to take the camera, so I didn't get any pictures. Next time, I'll get the pictures.
After returning from my walk, we went over to Terri's and did more work. It was so nice in the afternoon that I cleaned the gutters out. That is a job that I always wish I could pass on to someone else.

In Texas, the bluebonnets are beautiful in the spring and cover the roadsides and fields, especially in the hill country. Alabama has a lot of red clover that reminds us of the bluebonnets, not so much for the color, which is nice, but for the way they grow along the roads and in the fields. Below are a couple of pictures of red clover.




















On Sunday, we went for a short drive in the country and took these pictures of the azaleas we saw at one house.
























The reason I was able to upload the pictures was because I went to the Tuscaloosa Library, which allows people to use their own computers to access their wifi network. The network is fast and allowed me to upload the pictures, as well as download a new anti-virus program. I may have to continue using the library's network for uploads as long as we are here.
More later, be safe.
Today's Town -Hartselle, Alabama: The City of Southern Hospitality
Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: