Saturday, April 3, 2010

Atomic Fire Balls

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 68 degrees, high 83 degrees, partly cloudy skies

Today was my day off from the job, but that didn't mean I didn't have to do any work. I was hoping to sleep until about 0600 hours, but woke up like I had to get up and go to work at 0400 hours. Arrrrgh! Don't you hate when that happens? I finally managed to take a little nap between 0530 and 0700 hours, but that didn't make up for getting up so early. On the other hand, Carolyn was able to sleep in, which is good for her and her allergies. She continues to feel a little better each day.

Laundry was the first thing to do, since I have just enough of the clothes I wear for the outage for a week's work. That meant if I was going to wear those clothes tomorrow, we had to wash today. I took everything over to the laundry we normally use, but they were so busy, I had to go to another one that we hadn't used before. The new laundry is just that - brand new. New high tech front loading machines, and the facility is spotless. What's even better is the price, which is $2.00 per load, which equals about three loads in the old top loading machines we were using.

By the time the laundry was finished and put up, it was time to meet Lori and the grandkids for lunch at K-2, where we had a good time, eating and catching up with what's been happening over the last week. The main reason we go to K-2 on Saturday when we're in Bay City is that they have a special on Saturday that includes a nacho bar. I am a nacho connoisseur, and I can prepare them the way I like, which includes plenty of pico de gallo (is that spelled right?), fresh tortilla chips, melted cheese, bacon bits, and the topper, sliced jalapeno pickled peppers. Ummmmm, boy!!. The jalapeno peppers were exceptional today. Just a little bite of heat and very flavorful.

Speaking of heat, at one time, I used to like to suck on atomic fire balls, a hard candy that is red in color and has a little heat of it's own. That's why they're called atomic fire balls. When we were here last fall, one of my co-workers gave me one at work. All right! I love these! Hah!!! Little did I know what I was getting into. That little red fireball set my mouth on fire! I like to pride myself on being able to eat hot food, but that thing was too hot for me. I finally had to give up on it after feeling the inside of my cheek starting to shrivel up. The company that makes those little fire balls must not have any quality control to keep them from getting too hot. I've been offered another fire ball several times since then, but have declined on the grounds that my mouth hasn't recovered from the last one I tried six months ago.

After eating lunch, we went to the WalMart Mall and picked up our groceries for the week. Then back home where everything was put away, and I finally had time for some meditation. Today was the warmest day of the year so far, so we turned the air conditioner on. Carolyn claims I took a nap, but I know deep inside that all I did was meditate. It may be that she doesn't understand what meditation is.

Overall, it was a good day off. If everything continues to go well, I should be finished with the job about the 28th of this month. Then we'll take a short trip before coming back to Bay City for our oldest grandson Julian's high school graduation. Then it's on to Florida to visit family.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Coeur d’Alene, Idaho: City By The Lake

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: