Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Backing The RV

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 70 degrees, high 77 degrees, partly cloudy to mostly cloudy skies, showers expected tonight

The job tackled the biggest challenge we have for this outage today. So far, everything is going as planned. This particular task is the one that caused us to lose several days on the schedule last year, but the lessons learned appear to be working. It's looking as though I will finished by April 28th, which is fine with me. Now, if I can just resist taking another job.....

When I arrived home from work, Carolyn was sneezing and coughing. We have a front passing through the area, and there's a lot of stuff in the air. Normally, I can do without the rain, but this is one time when a little rain would be beneficial in helping clear crud out of the air. That should help Carolyn's allergy symptoms.

When we bought our first RV, I had never pulled anything approaching the size and weight of that 31 foot long fifth wheel. Think about the nervousness I experienced when I pulled out into the traffic that first time. Of course, I had plenty of help in driving, as Carolyn was continually giving me directions on what I should be doing. This was coming from someone who had never pulled an RV before, but she was free with her advice. After awhile, I had to tune out the help, and concentrate on what I was doing.

We had rented a storage space to place the RV in while I was finishing a job, which was going to take about three months. The space we rented was about 12 feet wide, and barely long enough for the RV to fit in. Think about this. I had never pulled an RV before, which meant I had never backed one up. In fact, I can't remember ever backing up any sort of trailer before then. Can you imagine the fun I had placing the RV in the storage space? Check it out.



Carolyn may look calm and cool in the picture, but doing this little job took about an hour, several stops to try to get our signals straight, and a little frustration. I never knew that women think in a different way about how to do a task like backing up an RV. I have found over the years that I'm much better at backing the RV, and don't even fret about it. Also, Carolyn is much better at giving signals on what I should be doing. Does she still tell me how to drive? Yes, but she's calmed down a lot. But aren't women supposed to tell us how to drive?

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Calera, Alabama: The Heart Of The Heart Of Dixie

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: