Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Day Off

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 68 degrees, high 76 degrees, mostly cloudy skies

You would think that I'd be able to sleep a little later in the morning with a day off. Not really, as I woke up before 0400 hours this morning and was unable to go back to sleep. Finally, I got up about 0430 hours and did a little reading as I waited for Carolyn to wake up. She finally woke up about 0700 hours (I'm glad one of us could sleep). Since I was ready to get started, I took the laundry and washed it, hoping to get ahead of the Saturday rush at the laundromat. When I got home, we had breakfast and went to buy groceries. After that, we met Lori and the grandkids at K-2 for lunch. Craig, one of my friends from work, said he and his family were going to be there, but they didn't show up while were eating. Too bad, since I was going to buy them lunch.

After lunch, we stopped by the library and picked up a few books, along with a new movie. After we got home and rested a few minutes, we watched the movie, which was Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood. Pretty good movie. We're Eastwood fans, so it's always fun to watch his movies.

When we were in the Charleston, South Carolina area, we visited the only tea plantation in the USA. Part of the visit included a tour of the processing facilities and tour of the fields where the tea is grown. The company that owns the plantation almost went out of business due to labor costs. The work was labor intensive, including cutting the tea from the plant. Through a lot of trial and error, they were able to create equipment that could do most of the tasks that humans used to do. As a result, the labor costs were brought under control, and they became profitable. Here's a picture of one of the fields. Did you know that the tea plants are a member of the camellia family?



More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Ada, Oklahoma: Home Of The Chickasaw Nation

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: