Monday, December 21, 2009

Chore Day

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 36 degrees, high 62 degrees, mostly clear skies

Another beautiful day greeted us when we woke this morning, with cool temperatures and clear skies. We're enjoying it while we can because the forecast for tomorrow is for scattered showers. That usually means rain here in Bay City. The longer range forecast is predicting colder weather on Christmas Day, with a high for the day of 53 degrees. That may not seem so bad, but that's cold here. Maybe not cold enough to satisfy Carolyn, but plenty cold for me.

In yesterday's post, I said we had some chores to take care of today. The first thing on the list was to make sure I didn't get up too early, and I think I did a good job of that. It was after 0730 hours before I finally managed to crawl out of the bed, and I forced myself to get up. There was nothing wrong except I slept really well. I wouldn't mind sleeping that well every night. Maybe the trains are starting to fade into the background.

When I was finally awake enough, I went for my morning walk while Carolyn was doing what she usually likes to do in the morning: reading a good book and drinking her coffee. By the time I returned from my walk, Carolyn had gotten a shower and was ready to face the day. We sorted out the clothes and went to the laundromat to wash five big loads of clothes. On the way, we stopped at the local MacDonald's for a sandwich. What a farce that was. I won't go into the problems the local store has, but that may be the last time we stop there.

I helped Carolyn get everything loaded into the washing machines, then I went to the bank to take care of some business there. The library is next door to the bank, so I stopped there to check out some books and movies. By the time I returned to the laundromat, the clothes were starting to come out of the dryers. We finished folding and hanging everything up, loaded the truck, and went home.

By the time everything was put away, it was time for a little meditation. Ahhh, that was so refreshing. Then we went to the WalMart Mall to pick up a few things that we needed from there. On our way home, we took a little detour to check out a road we used to travel to see if anything had changed. Nope, no changes. So, back home and put the few groceries away.

Tonight, we had supper with Lori and her family at China Station, the local Chinese restaurant. This restaurant is good, considering how small the town is. After supper, we came back home to watch television, do a little surfing on the web, and read a good book. It was a good day for us.

While we were at the laundromat, I struck up a conversation with a man who drove up in a truck with Alaska tags. He had lived up there for 17 years and left a few months ago because the economy had gone downhill so much. His work was in the oil fields operating a crane. Apparently, when oil prices started going down, most exploration stopped. Since he came south, he has realized that he doesn't want to be in the cold anymore, so he is looking for work that will keep him closer to the southern states. The only problem is that work is slow just about everywhere. We wished him good luck.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Reedsport, Oregon: Gateway To The Dunes

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: