Wednesday, December 16, 2009

More On Belton, Texas

Salado, Texas

Weather: low 32 degrees, high 43 degrees, cloudy windy

I went back to Belton to do some more exploring this morning. I asked Carolyn if she wanted to go, and she said it was too cold to get out. See what I mean about her liking cold weather, but not wanting to get out in it? My first stop was at Expo, the location of the Central Texas Fairgrounds. The reason I stopped here was to tour the Rodeo Cowboy Hall of Fame, located in the big building, which is where most of the events for the fair take place. I expected more than what I found as far as the hall of fame was concerned. The entire hall was composed of pictures and newspaper articles of past rodeo cowboys and the dates they were added to the hall. Not quite what I thought I would see.

On the way from the Expo, I passed this old windmill and water tank sitting in a field. The water tank is built of stone. Think about the stories these things could tell if they could talk. I drove around in town, checking out what the area has to offer. There are some nice residential areas, as well as a number of new businesses and buildings.

This is one of the refurbished older homes I found. There were several I found, but this one stood out the most.

After I finished exploring, I stopped at HEB for a couple things we needed. Then I went to the local library to check it out. They had some magazines they were giving away, so I went through them, looking for the ones we might want to read. By the time I left there, I had found eight new ones that we hadn't seen.

Remember in yesterday's post that I had problems finding the location of the 4th Armored Division's Museum in Killeen? Well, those problems should end soon, when Amazon delivers a brand new GPS unit for us to use in the truck. I finally gave in to the demands of technology and Carolyn getting on to me for allegedly getting lost. I keep telling her that I've never been lost. Apparently, that doesn't impress her, because every time I have problems with the directions I get off the Internet or from the corner gas station, she tells me I wouldn't have those problems if I had a GPS unit. We'll see how well this new fangled technology works when we get it. I have a feeling that some of the sense of adventure will be lost.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Sevierville, Tennessee: Your Hometown In The Smokies

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: