Thursday, December 23, 2010

Achey, Achey Wrist

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 36 degrees, high 43 degrees, clear skies

Remember the problem I was having with connecting to the Internet with the wireless router I bought? After several days of trying to get it to work, I finally called tech support yesterday. As I wrote in last night's post, the tech helped me get the router working while he was on the telephone. BUT, there's more to the story. After I finished with the tech and put the computer to sleep for several hours, I was unable to connect to the Internet. That was so frustrating. I gave up on the router and hooked the computer up to the cable coming out of the wall and got the blog posted.

Later in the night, I couldn't stop thinking about why the router was working, and then didn't. Going through all the steps that the tech on the other side of the world did to help me get working, I came to the conclusion that he hadn't told me everything. So, what did he not tell me? If I couldn't get online with the router, it meant the router was not logged in. I logged back in on the router, and I had a working wireless router again. Maybe that knowledge is intuitive for some people, but I never claimed to be a geek. Will wonders never cease?

I have been having severe pain in my left wrist for quite some time. The pain is bad enough that it will wake me from a sound sleep. The hand has also been going numb, which is really bothersome.

In May, I saw a doctor for the problem while we were in Texas. The doctor said I had strained tendons and ligaments, and treated the problem with an injection. The wrist and hand got better, but in September, the pain started coming back. At this time, it seems even worse than it was in May.

Today, I had an appointment to see a doctor in Huntsville about the problem. He listened to my complaints, and then went right to the source of the pain. By the time he got through examining my wrist and hand, I was ready to climb the wall. One good thing is that the doctor and I got along fine. The most important thing is that he knows what the problem is, and it can be repaired. I am scheduled for outpatient surgery on the wrist on January 3, and the doctor says in a matter of just a few weeks, the wrist will be as good as new. I'll settle for the pain going away. In any case, I'm glad to find out what the problem is, and I would have the surgery tomorrow, if possible.

When I got home from the doctor's appointment, Carolyn said she wanted to go to town to shop at Publix. Even though I was tired from the long drive to Huntsville and back, I took her because I'm glad to see her wanting to get out.

The store was crowded with people buying their holiday meal stuff. Carolyn likes to shop at Publix, but all the hustle and bustle and noise got her vertigo acting up. By the time we left, she was having to use the grocery cart to hang on to so she wouldn't fall. Folks, if you don't have vertigo, thank your lucky stars. It is one of the worse things that can happen to a person who likes to be active.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Gordo, Alabama: Fat City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: