Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Satellite System Installed

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 11 degrees, high 26 degrees, clear skies until late afternoon, then cloudy

The cold weather just keeps on coming. This is the lowest we've seen since 2003, when we were in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, visiting our daughter Terri and her family. The temperature got down to eight degrees, but we were a little younger and tougher then, so it was a big adventure seeing if we could stand it in the RV. I wouldn't want to be in the RV in these temperatures. Oh, another thing about the weather in 2003. When it was so cold, Terri invited us to stay with them while it was so cold. We declined and stayed in the RV. Well, guess whose pipes froze? It wasn't our pipes, but oldest daughter's pipes.

The big event for today was getting our satellite service installed in the new home base. Part of the service change was an update to our receiver so that we could receive HD programming and record programs if we wanted to. Another upgrade was to be able to watch two televisions using one receiver. Cool!! We didn't realize that we were in the dark ages.

The service technicians who installed the new satellite system couldn't have been more professional or good at their job. They showed up when they were supposed to, after calling to make sure it was still okay to come out. Then, even in the cold weather, they worked non-stop for two hours to get the equipment installed and working. We can't say enough good things about the great job they did. Carolyn is happy, so the wait was worth it.

When the satellite guys were finished, it was time for lunch - leftovers, of course. Then I went into Athens to mail our Christmas cards. We're running a little late this year, but I think we have a good excuse. Leaving the post office, I went to Charter and signed up for high speed Internet, which will be installed tomorrow. The air card works here, but the signal is a little slow at times. Plus, the high speed connection we're getting costs less than the air card. I'll suspend service on the air card until we need it.

Has anyone noticed the price of gasoline and diesel? We have been getting an up close and personal view with our recent travels. I'm always on the lookout for cheaper prices, and I filled up today with diesel for $3.059 per gallon. It's higher than we've seen for a couple of years, but still better than it was about three years ago. How does $4.799 per gallon sound? Remember those days?

While I was in town, I signed up for homestead tax exemption on the new home base. With a mixed blessing type of thing, I found that since I'm older than dirt, I get an exemption for my age. I guess there's something to be said for getting older, including the fact that it's better than the alternative. Hey, I'll save a few dollars wherever I can.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Williams, Arizona: Where Events Come Alive

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: