Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sweet Home Alabama

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 42 degrees, high 56 degrees, cloudy, intermittent rain showers all day

Man, what a difference a night makes in the weather here! We were freezing yesterday, and today we saw 56 degrees. It was still cold, but at least not the bone chilling cold of the past several days. The cold weather comes back tomorrow.

We've been in the new home base for six days now, and things are starting to settle down a little. When I say settle down, that means we only worked on getting things put away part of the day, instead of all day. I had to go to our new bank this morning to take care of some automatic deposit stuff. It's nice to go into a bank and have the people there recognize you. Seems like about 30 years ago. Just one more thing we like about small town living.

When I got back from the bank, which was in Ardmore, Carolyn was ready to go to Athens to look at a few things. Today was the first day she had felt like doing anything away from home because of her vertigo. I treated her to lunch, and it wasn't at McDonald's. That probably amazes some of you who know me, but you've got to splurge once in a while.

After lunch, we looked for a computer desk, but didn't find anything that rung our bell. There's no hurry, so we'll keep looking. The last stop for shopping was at the WalMart Mall, where Carolyn stayed in the truck because it was raining. The only thing of consequence that happened at the Mall was that I thought I had made a good buy on a garbage can. The display had a sign that said $25.00, but when I got up to the register, the cost was $64.00. There's no way I'm going to pay that much money for a plastic garbage container, so I told the cashier to take it off my bill. She offered to go get me another one, but that would have meant holding up other people, so I told her I would do it the next time I was in the store.

The last stop before going home was to register the truck in Alabama. That effort was fairly painless, and we now have an Alabama tag on the truck. I was offered two choices for the design of the tag, and chose the one that read "Sweet Home Alabama". We've always liked that slogan.

Registering the truck in Alabama saves about $15.00 a year on yearly registration costs, plus I won't have to pay $14.50 a year for a vehicle inspection that doesn't appear to do much good, other than giving business to garages. And you wouldn't believe how much cheaper my truck insurance is here, versus in Texas.

More later, be safe.

Today's State - Alabama: Sweet Home Alabama

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: