Sunday, December 12, 2010

Oriental Beef Stew

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: In a word, COLD! low 26 degrees, high 27 degrees, snow showers all day, winds 23 to 30 miles per hour

The low tonight is expected to get down to about 15 degrees here in Elkmont, and it will probably feel even colder with the way the wind is blowing. Looks like a day to stay inside and tidy up from moving in.

We still haven't caught any mice, even with eight traps set. Maybe the cold weather is freezing them.

We went to Athens today to take care of picking up a few more things needed for the new home base. The cold weather didn't seem to be slowing people down, as all the stores seemed to be busy with people buying all sorts of stuff, including holiday things. This area seems to be surviving the recession well. Of course, it should, with many government facilities and agencies here, as well as higher education facilities, such as Athens State College. Those types of things seem to provide a buffer whenever an economic downturn occurs.

While we were in town, we stopped at Publix Market, a Florida based grocery chain of stores. The one located here is new, and Carolyn was glad to find that she has one to shop in. She likes to meander through the entire store, looking at all the displays for meal ideas. Today, she hurried up so we could get finished and back home.

When we got home, I told Carolyn that I wanted to cook supper tonight. At one time, I used to cook quite often. Then, work got in the way of doing that. When we moved in the RV, she didn't want me in the way when she was cooking, so I got out of the habit of cooking. Now, we have a little more room, so Carolyn is more than ready for me to help out. The meal I prepared today was Oriental Beef Stew, a family favorite from about 35 years ago. As I said, it's been a while since I've cooked, so I was a little uncoordinated with my preps, but everything turned out well. The chosen dish was as good as I remembered, and Carolyn said it was great. That's high praise, coming from her. She said I'm going to have to fix today's menu again. Okay.

Now, what will I prepare next time?

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Little Rock, Arkansas: The City Of Roses

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: