Saturday, December 11, 2010

Eeeck! Jerald!

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 43 degrees, high 52 degrees, cloudy skies, light rain in the late afternoon and in to the night, windy

The weather forecast calls for snow and sleet over the next 24-36 hours, with most of it occurring tomorrow. Then, the cold weather comes in, with temperatures expected to be in the low teens at night, and high 20s in the daytime for the following two days. I guess we could say winter has arrived.

Eeeck! Jerald! I recognized that call as soon as I heard it. I was asleep at 0300 hours this morning when I heard that dreaded cry. Carolyn had gotten up to get a drink of water, and startled a mouse that was trapped in a plastic bag. Now, why she didn't get a broom and start beating the bag is beyond me. Anyway, I jumped out of the bed and rushed out to save my fair maiden. By the time I got to the area where the crisis was, the mouse had disappeared. Since I was already up, I got dressed and went to the WalMart Mall in Athens to get some mouse traps. So, did I get the merciful traps? You betcha. One click and snap! the little rascal's neck is broken.

Using my noggin for something besides a hat rack, which was difficult at 0400 hours in the morning, I decided to buy eight of the little neck snappers. I figured putting more traps out would increase the chances for success in breaking some necks.

On the way home, I almost hit a big buck, which if I had would surely have broke his neck, and done damage to the truck. Whew! That was close.

When I arrived home, I set all eight traps, using some peanut butter. Crunchy, of course. Then we sat back and waited for the traps to start going off. And waited, and waited, and waited..... As I'm writing this post late on Saturday evening, I still haven't caught any mice. Maybe tonight. If so, I will be glad to have caught the mice, but a little po'd that they woke me up.

We continued settling into the new home base, and it's actually starting to look a little comfortable. I had to go to Decatur this morning to pick up two end tables for the living room that were ordered for us before we went to Texas. I think that's all the furniture, other than a desk to set the computer up on. In the late afternoon, we went to Athens and bought a couple of lamps. So, slowly but surely, the needs are being completed.

I just realized that we have a separate garage big enough for the truck to be put in. That means it won't have to sit outside in the cold weather and get all iced up. That also means life will be a little easier for me. Yes!

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Buffalo, New York: Queen City Of The Lakes

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: