Saturday, December 18, 2010

Florence

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 26 degrees, high 42 degrees, cloudy with sleet early, then partly cloudy skies

We decided to drive over to Florence this morning, since we've been so busy moving in the new home base and getting it set up. I was going to get some pictures, but Carolyn's old bugaboo of vertigo struck again before we could really do much. It might seem like she should stay at home and cater to the illness, but I appreciate the fact that she is still willing to try to live a normal life. I will do whatever she wants as far as getting out. I think the worse thing she could do is just give up and become house bound.

Florence is located in the northwest part of the state, and was incorporated back in 1826. The population is about 37,000 people. It's large enough to have all the shopping a person could want, yet still small enough to have a little bit of a small town air. The University of North Alabama is located here, and is where our oldest daughter Terri received her master's degree.

Several famous people have called the city home, including W. C. Handy, the father of the blues, Stewart Cink, pro golfer, Sam Phillips, who discovered Elvis Presley, George Lindsey, who played Goober on the Andy Griffith Show, and George Goethals, chief engineer on the Panama Canal, to name just a few.

We drove by the Lauderdale County courthouse, but didn't take any pictures because it is a modern building. I'm more interested in the older courthouses.

I like different types of music, and a band I recently discovered is Drive-By Truckers, a band that plays alternative country and Southern rock. Imagine my surprise to find that three members of the group are from the Florence area, living in Killen, just a couple of miles away from Florence.

There was a time when I did everything I could to avoid carrying a cell phone. About two years ago, Terri loaned me a Trac phone so I could stay in touch with Carolyn when away from the RV without her. The Trac Phone is starting to act up, so I was looking around for an alternative that wouldn't be too expensive. I am on a fixed budget, after all.

My search led me to AT&T, where today I bought a cheap phone for less than $20.00 that allows me to be on a family plan with Carolyn, yet only costs $10.00 a month more than what we're paying now. We've been using a cheap plan that gives us much more minutes than we would ever use, so it made sense for us.

I guess I've left the ranks of the procrastinators, since I've been putting this move off for so long. Seems like I'm getting more and more geeky.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Florence, Alabama: Alabama’s Renaissance City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: