Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Dessert

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 70 degrees, high 91 degrees, partly cloudy

While the price of gas continues to rise here, the price of diesel has actually stabilized or gone down a little. Highly unusual. When I stop at a station to buy diesel, or I walk through WalMart, or go just about anywhere, the main topic of conversation I hear the most is about the price of gas and diesel. The second topic is the price of groceries, since they seem to go up with the price of gas. People seem to be driving slower. and there seems to be less traffic. I can remember the gas crunch of the 1970s, where a person couldn't buy gas, no matter how much money he might have. Now, you can buy all the gas you want, but it costs an arm and a leg. Where's it going to stop? I think we are in the process of a major change in the way Americans look at travel. The days of cruising around town for pleasure are probably over. It looks as though the RVing community is going through a change, too. With most of the motor homes getting 6-10 mpg, the cost of travel gets expensive in a hurry. I read recently that people are going across the border into Mexico to buy fuel at about half the price of what we have to pay. Is this the start of a reverse in immigration patterns of Americans moving to Mexico?

Has anyone been paying attention to the torrential rain, tornadoes, and flooding that has been hitting the Midwest? I really feel for those folks, and am happy that our weather has been good.

Now I've probably done it. I hope we don't get pounded.

For dessert tonight, we had fresh blueberries (thank you, Ruth and Marsha) and strawberries simmered with a brandy butter topping placed on pound cake, with vanilla ice cream on the side. Ummmmm, Boy!! That was good! We don't always have dessert, but tonight it just seemed right.

I mowed Terri's yard yesterday, and the grass was so high that we had clumps of grass laying everywhere when I got done with the mowing. Today, we raked up the clumps and got them off the grass so it wouldn't die. Now, why did I do that? If I had just left it laying there, the grass would have died and I wouldn't have to mow so often.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Independence, California: The Gateway To Discovery

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: