Monday, June 9, 2008

Weed Eating

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 81 degrees, high 99 degrees, partly cloudy until late in the evening, then cloudy

Last week, I mentioned in a post that I really don't like to weed eat the yard, especially one as big as Terri's house has. When you consider how big the area is, the heat and humidity, sun beating down, poson oak, poison ivy, fire ants, and, oh, yeah, dogs snapping at the string on the weed eater, it is an experience I'm glad I don't have to do but every three weeks. Maybe this house will sell soon, and we can get rid of the loud, hot, heavy weed eater that Terri has. I might take a hammer and beat it to pieces.

A typical day of using the weed eater begins by taking it out of storage in the garage. There is a gas can with a mixture of gas and oil that has to be agitated (shook up, for the word challenged) so the mixture is proper. If I'm not VERY careful when putting the gas and oil mixture in the weed eater tank, the mixture will overflow, causing the weed eater to smell before I get started running it. Why is it that I'm VERY careful everytime I put the gas in the tank, but I spill some of it? After putting gas in the weed eater, I check the cutting string, which usually needs to be replaced. Now, where did I put that string. Okay, now that I have the string, where are the pliers?

Finally, I'm ready to start the weed eater. Pump up the bulb to get gas into the weed eater. Put the choke in the on position. Pull the start cord a couple of times. Turn the choke off. Pump up the bulb another three times. Pull the start cord 4-5 times. Whew, it's about time to take a break. Put the choke back on. Pull the start cord another 3-10 times. Finally, the weed eater belches and tries to start. Turn the choke off. Pull the start cord again until the weed eater finally starts, with a roar and belching of smoke. Then the fun starts, as the dogs start snapping at the string. It's strange, but after awhile, I don't even notice the dogs snapping at the string.

As I proceed with the weed eating, grass and debris flies through the air, with most of it seeming to land on me. It's a good thing I always wear long pants when doing this task. The little bit of debris that doesn't land on me lands on the sidewalks or driveways, which means I am not finished when the weed eating is done. Then I have to get a broom or leaf blower to clean the sidewalks and driveways off. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Some of the debris includes fire ants, which sometimes lands on me. That makes for interesting times.

About the time I get going good, the string will break and need to be replaced. Or, sweat will run into my eyes, causing me to temporarily go blind. Or, I will feel like I'm about to have a heat stroke, and have to stop for a break. Great fun.

Just think, if I hadn't made a detour to Alabama, I'd be in Alaska about now.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Tupelo, Mississippi: Birthplace of Elvis Presley

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: