Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Old Man Wins One

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 70 degrees, high 95 degrees, mostly clear

Hot weather has arrived in Alabama. The heat index today was over 100 degrees, and more of the same is expected the rest of the week.

Terri has been having a problem with getting a conflict resolved with Dish Network. She stopped the service and sent their equipment back in pre-addressed boxes provided by Dish Network. Since she stopped the service, Dish Network has been saying that she still owes them for the equipment, even though it was sent back. I spent part of the day tracking the UPS shipments, and found that two of the boxes had been received in Spartanburg, SC at the Dish Network warehouse. The other box had been placed in shipment to Spartanburg, but there was no record that it had ever been signed for at the warehouse. UPS said that we could notify Dish Network of our findings, and gave us a phone number for Dish to call to track the shipment. UPS said if the box could not be found, they would reimburse Dish for the contents. After finding the tracking information, I called Dish and gave them the information from UPS. When Dish checked Terri's account, the account representative told me that her account showed a zero balance. I'm not sure what caused the balance to go to zero, and they could not tell me why. However, at this point, it looks like my snooping around found what happened to the equipment, and if Dish tries to charge her again, we have the information to clear it up quickly. Whew!

We have been planning on placing the house on the market by the end of this week. Today, we had an interested family ask to look at the property. They showed up about a half hour before dark, so I gave them a whirl wind tour of the house and property. They appeared very interested, and did not seem to be turned off by the price I gave them. They asked if they can return tomorrow to look more, and of course we said yes. We have our fingers crossed that these folks will be doing more than looking.

Today, I struck a blow for senior men. Everyone knows that senior is the same as old, don't they? Anyway, Thomas challenged me to a game of basketball, so I told him to make it easy on himself when he chose what game we would play. He chose one on one, with the first player to 21 points winning the match. I scored the first two points, then it was seesaw back and forth until the score was 14-14, when I went on a run and held him scoreless the rest of the match as I won 22-14. I played him into the shade. I wonder if he will think twice before he challenges me to play in the future? Of course, I did have a few advantages, such as being about a foot taller and out weighing him by about 70 pounds. The biggest advantage I had though was my vast experience in life and subterfuge.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Madison, Alabama: Where Progress Meets Preservation

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: