Monday, January 10, 2011

Blizzard Of 2011

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 27 degrees, high 30 degrees, cloudy skies, light snow

Well, the promised snow made it here last night. In our area, we have at least six inches on the ground, while areas around Athens received up to a foot. We are located in Limestone County, and authorities have declared the roads to be impassable, and are asking everyone to stay at home. They don't have to ask us twice, since I'm not good at shoveling snow. Besides, I don't have a shovel, so I guess that's that. Anyway, we have plenty of toilet paper to last through the emergency.

It should warm up a little tomorrow, allowing some of the snow to melt. If it doesn't melt tomorrow, then it probably won't until Friday because of the low temperatures that are forecast.

I couldn't let this snow event happen without taking some pictures of it. I know, all snow looks the same, but this is our snow.

Here's one of the pictures I took.



And, another one behind the house.



All schools were closed today, and most work places were, as well. There was a lot of activity with people riding four wheelers up and down the road, dragging people on garbage can lids and sleds. It looked like fun, until they got spilled. One plus was that the snow was packed down in the road a little, so maybe it will be drivable by Wednesday.

Since we were house bound, I took the opportunity to go through our paper work. culling out what was no longer needed. It seemed like we received a torrent of receipts and other paper when we bought the new home base, but much of it was not needed. Plus, I had not been through our traveling paper work in a few months, so that was more to go through and get rid of, as in shred. Carolyn loves to run the paper shredder, so she had a good time.

Yesterday, when we ate at Cheddar's in Huntsville, I had the chicken strips, red beans and rice, and broccoli, while Carolyn had chicken fried steak with Italian green beans and mashed potatoes. My food was as good as ever, but Carolyn was disappointed in the chicken fried steak and the mashed potatoes. I almost warned her against getting chicken fried steak anywhere but Texas, but didn't. She was so disappointed with it that she is planning the same meal at home just to show that it can be fixed the right way. A plus for me in keeping my mouth shut, and I get a good meal out of it.

The BCS game is playing tonight, and I am rooting for the SEC team, Auburn. Both teams have had story book seasons, but I have always been a Florida and SEC fan. If Florida can't be in the game, I'll root for the SEC team that is. In this case, War Eagle!!!!

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Bozeman, Montana: Montana’s Trailhead

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: