Friday, January 7, 2011

Followup On Wrist Surgery

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 27 degrees, high 51 degrees, partly cloudy skies, windy

Today, I had to go see the doctor who performed surgery on my wrist for a followup checkup. The worse part of the trip was that I had to go all the way south of Huntsville, or about 45 miles away in bad traffic. Going to the office was not so bad, but when we started back home, it was lunchtime, and traffic was terrible. Plus, all the restaurants in Huntsville that we thought about having lunch at were packed. As I've written before, there's no sign of a recession here.

The doctor said the wrist looked good, and I should have a normal recovery. He said that the damage was worse than he first thought, and he had to do more repair than anticipated. There is quite a lot of bruising that I was unaware of because it was beneath the dressing. I will go back in a week to have the stitches removed. No word yet on whether any physical therapy is planned.

By the time we got back to Athens, it was almost 1300 hours, so we stopped at Mickey D's for a quick lunch. I wanted to eat in Huntsville, but as I said, it was just too busy.

There's a lot of excitement here about some weather that's heading this way. Apparently, we could receive up to 7 inches of snow, beginning Sunday and continuing through Tuesday. The local weather forecasters are reminding everyone to prepare for what might be coming. That reminds me of when we lived in Florida and along the Texas gulf coast. It seemed every time a hurricane got within a thousand miles, people started freaking out and emptying the stores. What was really funny was to see how fast the toilet paper was stripped off the shelves. Forget about bottled water or batteries, where's the toilet paper?

It will be interesting to see if that same scenario plays out here.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Decatur, Alabama: The Ballooning Capital Of Alabama

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: