Sunday, January 2, 2011

Return To Pulaski

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 25 degrees, high 40 degrees, clear skies

Carolyn and I may have turned the corner to getting better with the colds we have been fighting. We felt well enough today to get out of the house after lunch, taking a drive north across the state line to the beautiful little town of Pulaski, Tennessee.

After driving around the little town, you'll never guess what we decided to do. Nope, we didn't go to McDonald's, or any other fast food place. Carolyn decided she wanted to go in to the local WalMart Mall to see if they had a good craft and sewing material section. Well, were we surprised. This particular WalMart has a very good craft and sewing section, and Carolyn spent at least half an hour checking it out. When we went in the store, we were only planning to pick up a couple of items. By the time we finished looking around, we had more than 20 items, and had to go through the greater than 20 items checkout line. One reason we stayed as long as we did is that Carolyn's vertigo did not act up, so she was having a good time, looking and shopping. I know a trip to the Mall may not seem like that big a deal to most people, but when you suffer with vertigo like she has, it's a big deal when you can do it and not get sick

The store wasn't very busy, and most of the shoppers seemed tired to me. I guess all the pre-Christmas shopping wore them out. Or, maybe they were still recovering from the first of the year parties.

It was almost dark by the time we got back to the home base. We were talking about how early it gets dark here in the winter, so saying it was almost dark is not as late as it sounds. After putting everything away and resting from the trip, we had a nice sandwich made with some hearty bread we bought. I can eat just about any bread for a sandwich, but Carolyn likes one with some body to it. I have to say that the bread was excellent.

After eating, I realized that we didn't have an alarm clock. We need to get up at 0400 hours in the morning so I can be in Huntsville at 0545 hours for the surgery on my left wrist. So, I went down the road about a mile to the local Dollar General and bought one. We haven't been sleeping very well, but it would be just like us to sleep well tonight, getting up late for the trip to Huntsville.

I checked the clock to see if it would alarm, and it did. Now I hope it keeps decent time and alarms when it's supposed in the morning. I'm ready to get my wrist repaired. I've had enough of the pain and stiffness.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - New York, New York: Gotham

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: