Tuesday, January 18, 2011

House Work

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 38 degrees, high 45 degrees, cloudy, fog, rain

What a miserable weather day this was. Cold and wet.

Maybe the weather wouldn't have seen so bad if I had not not needed to go to town. I needed a haircut, so that was enough reason to go. Another reason was that Carolyn was making noises about wanting to do some house work, and I needed to stay out of the way. How is it that in a three bedroom house, I seem to get in her way when she's doing her thing on house work?

I looked on the Internet for barber shops in Athens, and found one just off the square that seemed promising. Well, that was a mistake that I won't be making again. I told the barber to leave me enough hair so I could still comb it. By the time he finished cutting, I was down to almost nothing on my head. I know my hair is a little thin, but as short as it is now, I won't be combing it for about six weeks. Needless to say, I didn't leave a tip. I'm not worried about offending the barber, because he's not getting another chance with me.

I took care of a couple more errands in town and headed home. Hopefully, I had stayed away long enough to give Carolyn her space. And, I timed it just about right, as she was finishing up when I got home.

After lunch, we replaced a window blind in our bedroom. Sounds easy, right? Well, nothing seemed to go right, as my cordless screw driver didn't have the power to take screws out or put them in. I have a power drill that has much more torque, so I was able to use it. With other little things that occurred, the little job that should have taken a maximum of 30 minutes ended up taking well over an hour. I was having to use my left hand, which is the one that was recently operated on, and caused myself some aches in the wrist. It feels okay now, but it hurt like a son of a gun earlier.

We are having a problem with the faucet being difficult to operate in our shower. looking on the Internet (what a useful tool), we found what we think the problem is. The fix will involve replacing the valve cartridge, so we'll pick that up tomorrow. If Lowe's doesn't have one, we'll order it over the Internet.

A lot of people think that there's less maintenance living in an RV. There is, if you want to ignore everything and have it fail. We have found that periodic maintenance is important in an RV as well as a fixed base. Just about everything in the house is new, except the shower faucet. So, once we get that fixed, we should be in good shape until something else needs repair.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Waldport, Oregon: Where The Forest Meets The Sea

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: