Friday, January 14, 2011

Water Leaks - No, Not Us

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 5 degrees, high 32 degrees, clear skies

Did you notice the low temperature of 5 degrees this morning? And we continue to be told that global warming is the reason for the cold weather. In the words of Carolyn, how blonde do those idiots think we are?

I had to go to Huntsville this morning to have the stitches removed from my left wrist. The doctor says everything continues to look good. He also said I could go back to normal activities and to let my comfort level with the still sore wrist be my guide as to what I do. I have to go see the doctor again in four weeks, and that should be the last time.

Traffic was very heavy this morning. Apparently, a lot of people have not been going anywhere the last five days, and the gates were opened today. The streets in Huntsville were not in as good shape as they are in Athens, but were still drivable.

Most of the schools in the area have been closed all week, and now there's a discussion going on about how the missed days are going to be made up. Some people are upset that Monday, which is Martin Luther King Day, and normally a holiday for kids, is going to be used as a make up day for one of the missed days. Personally, I don't see the conflict. Most kids have no appreciation for historical figures. If they weren't in school, they wouldn't be doing anything to celebrate Dr. King's life. In fact, their parents would probably prefer that they be in school.

When I got back home, I was stopped at the mailbox by the neighbor across the street. It seems they had a pipe break under their house due to the cold weather, and she didn't know how to turn the water off. I grabbed my big pliers, took the cover off the water meter, and turned the water off for her. Her husband was at work, and he was trying to talk her through how to turn the water off. I noticed that he came home a couple of hours later, so I guess he fixed the leak. It was probably hard to get a plumber today.

After going in the house, I started thinking about whether we had a leak or not. None of the obvious clues were present, such as hearing water run or low water pressure. However, I knew I wouldn't be able to rest easy unless I crawled under the house and checked. So, I put on some paper clothes over my other clothes and got under the house. Whew! No leaks, and everything looks good under the house. Now I can rest easy.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Buffalo, New York: The City Of Good Neighbors

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: