Saturday, January 8, 2011

Preps For Blizzard

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 26 degrees, high 38 degrees, partly cloudy skies, windy

The preparations for the great winter storm of 2011 continued today, as the throngs in the stores were snapping up everything on the shelves. Even the paper towels were running out, as I guess people think they won't be able to get to the store for the next month. So, what did I buy? Bread, milk, ground turkey for chili, deodorant (hey, I might not be able to get to the store for a month, and I don't want to smell), and bandages for my wrist. I'm supposed to keep the incision where the surgery occurred clean and dry, and I'm having problems finding something to cover the bandages with that doesn't leak.

While I was in town, I looked for some yard sales to check out, but didn't find a single one. I'm looking for books and yard tools. I guess the cold weather has put a damper on people wanting to put their junk outside and try to sell it.

The word from the forecasters now is that we could receive as much as eight inches of snow, with most area roads being closed. That doesn't seem that bad, considering that we received much more than that when I worked in New York about ten years ago. There were many mornings when I went to work while there that the roads had not been plowed, yet I didn't have any problems. It was actually fun to be the first vehicle to make tracks in new snow.

I haven't been getting as much exercise recently as usual due to the cold weather and having a rotten cold. Today, I felt better, and decided to take a walk around the block, which is about a mile. I bundled up with about three layers on plus gloves and a hat. Stepping out in to the wind blowing about 30 miles an hour, I had second thoughts about what I was doing. With a temperature of 38 degrees and the wind, it felt like I was back in New York. Stepping out smartly, I made a total distance of about a half mile before I gave up and went back in the warm house. I guess I'm getting soft, because in the past that kind of cold would have invigorated me. It certainly gave me some incentive today. Such as going back home.

Since it was so cold and we didn't want to get out in it, we spent the day vegging out in the front of the television, reading and surfing the web. The storm is supposed to hit here tomorrow night, so maybe we'll try to get out for a while tomorrow.

Hmmmm. I wonder if I should have picked up a case of toilet paper?

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Austin, Texas: The People’s Republic Of Austin

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: