Thursday, January 20, 2011

Eruption

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 34 degrees, high 37 degrees, cloudy skies, misty rain in the afternoon, snow late in the evening

The weather forecasters got it wrong - AGAIN. Yesterday, they said no snow and warming trends for the next few days. Today, we're expecting snow this evening, and it has been cold. Just another winter day in north Alabama.

I took back the parts that were sold to me to repair the shower faucet this morning. I explained to the sales clerk that the part allowed the shower head to drip, drip drip, even though the faucet was turned off. His reply: you did something wrong. The first time he said that, I ignored it. The second time he said it, I started to boil. The third time, I erupted.

The parts are very easy to remove and replace. Slide the old part out, slide the new part in after checking inside the assembly to make sure nothing is left in there. Then, I wiped the assembly out to ensure there was nothing in there. Finally, I applied a light coat of Vaseline to the inside of the assembly to make sure everything would move easily. Just as instructed.

When the new cartridge was installed, it would only go in one way. A tab at the top fit in a cutout that made sure the cartridge was installed properly. Even with all those precautions, the new cartridge allowed the shower head to drip.

The fourth time the sales clerk said I did something wrong, I told him I did not appreciate his attitude, and to give me my money back. I was actually nicer about the whole thing than I should have been, but I didn't want to get into a shouting match with an idiot. So, I got my money back and left.

I know I installed everything correctly, following the instructions we had. Plus, Carolyn was watching every move I made, and she agrees that we did everything right.

We went to Decatur to another plumbing store to see if they had the parts we needed, but all they had were the same type of parts as we bought in Athens. At that point, we decided to order the parts from the manufacturer of the fixtures.

Carolyn wanted to go to Hobby Lobby while we were in Decatur, so we stopped there. That place has more in the way of gee gaws. I was walking around while Carolyn was looking for what she wanted, and I was amazed at the amount of stuff they have. Knick knack heaven for people who like that sort of thing.

On our way home, we stopped at the library to return some books and pick up some new ones. There is still a limit of two books because of server problems, but at least we can get those.

When we got home, I called the manufacturer for our shower fixtures and explained what I needed. From what I was told by the person on the telephone, I was given the wrong parts at the plumbing supply place, and there was no way that it wouldn't leak. The new parts I ordered will be here early next week, and the best part is that they are about a third less expensive than what I bought here.

Take that, surly store clerk!

Update - I just looked outside, and there's about an inch of snow on the ground. That was quick! It's still snowing.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Columbiana, Alabama: Come For The History, Stay For The Shopping

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: