Sunday, January 16, 2011

Snow Melting

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 20 degrees, high 40 degrees, mostly clear skies

Clear skies today meant that the snow is starting to go away. Too bad, because it was beautiful while it lasted. At least we can go out the front door now, instead of the garage. Until yesterday, the front entrance and sidewalk were covered with snow and ice, which I didn't want to shovel. Lazy? Maybe, but I was willing to let nature take care of it.

We felt a little travel itch this morning, so we took a drive down through Decatur, Hartselle, Falkville, and on to Lacon. When we lived in Athens back in the 1980s, Lacon had a flea market that was popular at the time. Just about anything a person wanted could be found there at a decent price. The thing I liked about it was the characters that could be seen there. That flea market was the first time I saw someone other than a policeman wearing a pistol on his hip. And we were in Alabama, not Texas, where it might be expected to see that sort of thing. However, in the time we lived in Texas, I never saw a person wearing a gun in plain view, other than law enforcement officers. That didn't mean the guns weren't present, just not in plain sight.

But, I digress. When we got to Lacon, we saw that the flea market was still there, but it looked a little worn. We were going to stop and look around, but the recent snow had made such a mess that we would have been walking in snow, ice, and mud. We'll go back when things have dried out a little.

We drove back to Athens via I-65 to Decatur, where we turned off and took US 31 on to Athens. By the time we got home, the travel itch had been scratched, if only for a day or two.

Carolyn spent some more time on genealogy while I was watching the pilot episode for The X-Files. Then I took another walk around the neighborhood, enjoying being able to get out in the nice weather. The forecasters are talking rain for tomorrow, so I may not be able to walk. But, give me half a chance and I'll be out there. If I can't walk, at least I can watch some more X-Files episodes.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Leeds, Alabama: People, Pride, and Progress

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: