Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Front Porch

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 64 degrees, high 95 degrees, mostly clear

We went out to Terri's house today, but didn't stay all day because we have everything in pretty good shape. The grass is hardly growing because of the dry weather. After getting home, we meditated (at least I meditated - Carolyn went to sleep) and just took things easy. About 1400 hours, Terri brought Thomas over to the RV to stay with us while she went to the doctor. Thomas had some money he wanted to spend on fireworks, so I took him down to a stand near the WalMart Mall. He did a good job of getting the most for his money, with just a little help from me. His plan is to shoot half of them tomorrow, and save the rest for next week, when his cousins Julian and Zoe will be visiting from Texas. He is really excited about seeing their family, as are we.

As I have mentioned before, I go for a long walk every morning. Over the course of the last three months, I have come to know an older gentleman named Bruce Sanders. Bruce is 80 years old, and is out walking almost every day. He has lived in the Tuscaloosa area since the 1950s, and retired in the mid 1980s, when he sold three retail establishments in town. He is not a ball of fire when walking, but makes steady progress along the walking trail. We generally do not walk together since I tend to walk much faster than he does. However, we have started taking a few minutes to stop and talk to each other. He seems to have led an interesting life. At one time, he back packed from northern New Mexico to the Arctic Ocean. Wow! That must have been some trip. Last weekend, he went to New Orleans and had a good time. So good, that when he showed up on the path on Monday, he was moving slower than ever. I asked him if he was okay, and he said he had too good a time in New Orleans. Seeing Bruce out there every day is giving me inspiration to continue what I am doing for my health.

When Terri got back to the RV from her doctor's visit, we spent a little time visiting. All of a sudden, we realized it was supper time, and supper wasn't ready. Now, I wonder if this was planned by Carolyn? No, she wouldn't do that. Would she? Anyway, being the considerate husband I am, I suggested we go somewhere and eat. After kicking around some suggestions, Carolyn suggested the Front Porch, a family style restaurant in Northport. Of course, whatever she suggests, I go along with. Good thing I did, because Thomas and I had chicken and dumplings, while Carolyn and Terri had pork chops. The food was not bad, and was almost like home cooked. We'll have to go there when Lori and her family arrive.

We plan to take a road trip tomorrow up the road about 60 miles to the Natural Bridge. This is an attraction created by Nature over the course of many years. It is located in the Bankhead National Forest, and we hear the area is beautiful. I'll have a report and pictures tomorrow.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Demopolis, Alabama: City Of The People

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Old folks need to slow down. I think Terrie's place would make a nice compound for you to set up one of these seperatists groups so you could move your family inside and shut out the world.

Jerald said...

We still have a few miles left on us - we hope.

Jerald