Saturday, July 12, 2008

New Mexican Restaurant

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 74 degrees, high 98 degrees, scattered showers

We spent most of the day visiting with our daughters and their families at Terri's house. In the afternoon, I came home to meditate and clean up the inside of the truck. Carolyn went with Terri and Lori to Hobby Lobby and Target. I'm not into that kind of shopping. After their shopping was done, Carolyn was dropped off at the RV, and plans were made to get together for supper.

It seemed everyone wanted Mexican food for supper, so Terri suggested we go to Jalapeno's, a restaurant we have been to before. I suggested we try a new place in Northport that was recommended to us by Chuck, the son-in-law of Ruth, our landlord. He had gotten the recommendation from a student of his from Ecuador. The draw of the new place was that it was authentic Mexican food. We have been having problems finding good Mexican food in this area, and I was hoping the new place would be good. When I say good Mexican food, keep in mind that we have lived in Texas for many years, and I don't think we ever got that type of food that we were dissatisfied with while there.

We went into the restaurant tonight with high hopes. It is a small family owned place, with seating for no more than 30 people. The menu had a large number of items on it, and we had never heard of some of them. The tortillo chips were freshly prepared, and still hot when brought to the table. Two kinds of sauce were served with the chips, including verde', or green, and a red sauce that they called roja. Both of the sauces were on the warm side, and I'm not talking thermally warm. I'm talking peppers hot. The verde' sauce was definitely the hotter one, and both of them were tasty. The problem was that we couldn't eat much of them. Thomas did not realize that they were hot, and he dipped into the verde' with gusto until he realized with a sudden start that his mouth was burning. He drank everything he could get his hands on. Later on, when he had recovered a little, he said the heat caused him to be light headed. That's the first time I've heard that before.

Everyone ordered something different, with Terri and Lori ordering the chiles rejenos, I ordered enchiladas, Carolyn ordered quesadilla, Julian ordered fajitas, Zoe ordered chicken, and Thomas ordered steak burrito. I don't remember what John ordered. I think the best dish was the chiles.

How did it taste? I thought the food was a little bland. I expected something similar to what we can get in Texas, and this food was not that type. Will we eat there again? I don't think so, and the search goes on for a good Tex-Mex restaurant.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Olympia, Washington: The Capital of The Evergreen State

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: