Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Wasp Attack

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 75 degrees, high 96 degrees, partly cloudy

We had a light shower that lasted all of three minutes at Terri's house today. We need rain badly at the house because the grass is not doing well. I am still having problems getting the sprinkler system going, but we expect some instructions in the next day or so that should help. As I am writing this, there are dark clouds to the north that we hope will bring some rain.

I went to town with Terri this morning to run some errands. It seemed as though every red light caught us, and the lights were not short. I think the Tuscaloosa area has some of the worse traffic that I have driven in, and it's primarily because the traffic lights are not synchronized. You go through one light only to get stopped at the next one, then repeat the pattern at every one. Sheesh!

I tried to be smarter with my morning walk by getting my walk going by 0615 hours. The sun was not beating down and that helped, but it was just as humid as ever. Can you spell sweaty? I'm going to try to continue walking earlier if I can manage to get out soon enough. Sometimes it's hard to do.

Late in the afternoon after we got home from Terri's house, we had a power outage that lasted about five seconds. I hold my breath when these things happen because these things can cause appliances and equipment to burn up. No problems at the RV when it was over, but a little later we received a call from Terri that the air conditioner for the house was not working. I went out to the house and started checking things with my very limited amount of experience. I could tell that the fan in the house was working, but the compressor outside was not running. I could hear a hum coming from the unit that indicated we had power to it. I started looking for the breaker box to see if there was a problem there. Since I didn't know where the breaker was, I started searching for it. Opening the first box I found outside, I was greeted by a swarm of very aggressive wasps. After spaying them amid weaving and dodging, I came out of the encounter with one bite on my right wrist. The box wasn't the one I needed. Then I checked another breaker box in the laundry room, with no luck.

About that time, Terri told me she had called an AC repairman that she knew, and he was on his way out. The repairman arrived about five minutes later (is that great service?), and he found the right breaker box soon after. He reset the breaker, and the AC started running and cooling. It seems the little power outage had almost tripped the breaker, and it was not closed enough to make full contact. A simple fix for once, and now I know where the breaker is located. It is amazing how necessary air conditioning has become to our modern way of life.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Arab, Alabama: Proud Of Our Past, Embracing Our Future

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: