Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hobby Lobby

Victoria, Texas

Weather: low 76 degrees, high 87 degrees, partly cloudy skies, windy

Before I go any further in this post, here's a couple more pictures from our stop in Rockport. This first picture is of the Band Shell, located at the Rockport Beach. I like the fact that the mural painted on it is symbolic of local life.



Here's another mural, which suggests a whimsical side to life in Rockport.



Victoria is a city of about 60,000 people, with all the shopping that would be expected for a city of that size. Carolyn has been looking for a Hobby Lobby so she could pick up a few crafting items she hasn't been able to find elsewhere. Guess what? There's a Hobby Lobby here, and we were there bright and early, almost as soon as they opened. She was able to find just about everything she was looking for. Right down the street is the WalMart Mall, as well as Sam's Club. We drove down there and did a quick walk through in Sam's, finding a few things there that we wanted. We like the baked chickens we can find at Sam's, so we picked up one today. I guess everyone knows what we had for supper, along with an outstanding salad.

We're having to be careful that Carolyn doesn't receive too much visual stimulation, since that seems to be part of what causes her vertigo problems. After we had finishing our shopping and eaten lunch, we went back home so she could rest her eyes.

By 1330 hours, I was ready to go looking around, but Carolyn decided she didn't want to take a chance of vertigo causing her problems, so she stayed at home. Since I like the old sections of towns and cities, I went to the original settlement area of Victoria, where I found all kinds of things to take pictures of. So many, in fact, that there's no way I could put all of them in this post. One of my favorites was, what else, the old Victoria County Courthouse, built in the Romanesque Revival style, back in the late 1800s.



In De Leon Plaza, I saw this unusual statue dedicated to the Confederate soldiers.



More pictures tomorrow.

When I returned home, I stayed industrious and cleaned up the truck, inside and out. There was salt residue on the truck that needed to be removed. and the inside needed to be wiped down and the leather seats treated. By the time I was finished with that little task, I had lost some of my get up and go. By then, it was almost supper time, and I was ready for some good baked chicken.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Victoria, Texas: Trail Of Six Flags

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: