Monday, May 24, 2010

Ouch, That Hurts!

Glen Rose, Texas

Weather: low 74 degrees, high 89 degrees, partly cloudy skies, windy

We had two major things we wanted to do today. The first was this morning when I had a doctor's appointment in Stephenville to have my left wrist examined by an orthopedic surgeon. The wrist has been giving me a lot of problems for several months, and i finally decided to see a doctor for it. This particular doctor had performed carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand about 30 months ago, and I was pleased with the results. So, since we were seeing our family doctor, I asked for a referral for the left wrist.

The orthopedic doctor examined my left wrist, and after twisting and pulling on it with the appropriate sounds from me, like "that hurts", he said he knew what the problem was. It appears he had the same problem about nine years ago, so he knew the kinds of problems I was having. He rattled off a three word name for the problem, which I promptly forgot. He suggested an injection, since his problem was treated the same way, and it worked for him. I said okay, let's do that.

After the doctor explained how the injection would feel (it was going to hurt), everything was gotten ready. A numbing spray was applied, which didn't do a thing for the pain. Then the injection was made, and good grief, it hurt. The needle was twisted around and solution was injected in about three or four different places.

Finally, the injection was finished, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, it turned numb after a couple of minutes, and felt pretty good. I remember thinking that this was nothing. Famous last words. After the numbness wore off, it really did hurt. Oh, my, did it ever hurt, and is still hurting. I sure hope it feels better tomorrow. It will be worth it if the wrist gets better.

The second thing we wanted to do was have supper with our friends Tim and his wife Vi Vi. I met and worked with Tim when I was here for 26 months, and we try to get together whenever we're in town. Our plan was to meet at Pasta Fina in Granbury for supper. Good plan, except that Pasta Fina was closed. The fallback was to go to The Jalapeno Tree, where we had a good meal and caught up with what's been going on in each other's lives. We enjoy seeing Tim and Vi Vi when we can. We'll see you next time, guys.

I have another doctor's appointment in the morning, which will decide what we do next. If that's the end of the doctor visits, we'll leave here. If I see anyone else, we'll be here until the visits are finished. Tune in tomorrow for what we do.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Houston, Texas: Oil Capital Of The World

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: