Thursday, May 13, 2010

More on Goliad, Texas

Victoria, Texas

Weather: low 76 degree, high 86 degrees, cloudy, winds 20 to 30 mph

At least once a week, we try to do something productive as far as upkeep on the truck and RV. Today was the day for some of those upkeep items. Carolyn dusted everything she could reach in the RV and ran the vacuum cleaner. While she was busy inside, I took everything out of the truck and vacuumed it out. Once I had the vacuuming of the truck finished, I cleaned out the vacuum cleaner so Carolyn wouldn't get after me for not emptying it after using it. Then I took one of our storage boxes out of the basement and got some things out of it that we don't need. Those items will be gotten rid of when we go back to Bay City.

After finishing up outside, we had lunch. Usually, when I eat, I get in the mood for meditation. My hope was that the urge would pass today, since I had several more tasks I wanted to take care of. All I can say is that good intentions never got anything done. About a half hour after eating, the urge for meditation became so strong that I stopped fighting it, and gave myself up to it without reservation. No sleeping, just meditating.

About mid-afternoon, I took the truck and had the tires balanced and rotated. As expensive as tires are, it's important that I have this maintenance item taken care of on a routine basis. When I was finished at the tire store, I stopped at HEB and picked up a few groceries. Then it was on to the RV and taking it easy the rest of the day.

Goliad is one of the more interesting little towns that we have visited. The town, founded in 1749 and originally named La Bahia, is the county seat of Goliad County, and has a beautiful old courthouse.



Between 1846 and 1870, lawlessness was rampant in the Goliad area. Court was held on the grounds where the current courthouse is located under a large oak tree. In capital cases, sentences were carried out immediately by hanging from the tree. The big oak tree became known as "The Hanging Tree", and still stands today.



The downtown area of Goliad is centered around the courthouse square, as are many of the little Texas towns we have been to. Most of the downtown around the square has been designated as a National Register of Historic Places.





Many places make a claim of having been under five or six flags. Goliad can make a claim of being under nine different flags. How's that for history?



More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Laughlin, Nevada: Play The Way You Like It

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: