Saturday, May 1, 2010

Early Rising

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 73 degrees, high 82 degrees, mostly cloudy skies

Clang! Bang! Screech! Clatter! And all manner of other sounds. That's what I heard this morning about 0430 hours. Looking out the window, I saw that the person next door to us was making all the noise. He worked as an iron worker during the outage, and it looked like he was getting ready to drive home near Dallas. I had no problem with him leaving, but did it have to be so early? He finally left about 0630 hours, but I was awake, so I went for my morning walk. For some reason, my legs didn't feel as strong as they did yesterday. Could it be I needed more sleep?

After breakfast, we got started on the preps for leaving here on Monday. The outside belongs to me, while Carolyn owns the inside. I washed the roof and sides on the RV, and then got busy cleaning up the outside of the truck. Once those jobs were finished, we stopped for about a half hour for lunch. After lunch, I dragged myself back out and installed the tire pressure monitors on the truck and RV tires. The tire pressure on all the tires was in good shape (80 pounds).

The next thing on the list of things to do was get the fifth wheel hitch out of the front basement compartment and paint it. The last time I painted the hitch was three years ago, so it was starting to look a little faded. Once the paint was dry, I installed the hitch on the truck.

During the time I was taking care of the work outside, Carolyn was doing her thing inside on the cabinets and drawers. She found several things to get rid of, and secured those things that needed it for travel. My concern with her was that she would overdo it and bring on a vertigo episode, but she handled what she was doing well. By the time I had the hitch installed, we were both ready for a rest, as in meditation.

Later in the afternoon, I took everything out of the basement and stowed what could be put away. I'm getting better at putting stuff away in the basement. By the time the basement work was finished, it was time for supper. While eating, we watched a movie named Surrogate with Bruce Willis. Nothing to rave about.

We're tired tonight, but feel good about what we got accomplished today. We find that things tend to get a little disorganized when we're sitting long term. Now that we're going to be traveling again, maybe we'll stay a little more organized.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Reedsport, Oregon: Gateway To The Dunes

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jerald me and Nicole here reading your blog. You know what they say the best cure for leaving is road dust. Just trying to get the bathroom completed so we can use it again, looks real good but Wife wasn't happy with the shower layout so had a tile seat made and now she is happy. A hose attached to a 4X4 pole like we use in Alabama would be just fine for me but I don't think the neighbors would like it. Reached mode 1 yesterday at the plant and all is well with no issues. Keep in touch and good luck on the road.

Jerald said...

We're going to raise some road dust tomorrow. That'll probably take care of all this work we're doing to get ready.

I know all about the outdoor showers, but back then, there were no neighbors to complain. I guess that what happens when you live in town.

I'm glad the plant is doing well, and I hope it has a continuous run until the next outage. You guys take good care of my retirement.

Jerald