Friday, June 4, 2010

High School Graduation

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 72 degrees, high 91 degrees, partly cloudy skies

Our grandson Julian graduated high school tonight, and it was quite an affair. At least it was to all the parents, other relatives, and friends of the graduating seniors that were there. I have the feeling that the seniors were glad it was all over, and that they would rather have skipped the whole thing. That's a typical feeling, and I remember the same thoughts when I graduated high school many years ago. Julian didn't want to go, but I reminded him that he had gone through 12 years of school with most of the people who were graduating, and that he would never see most of them again. That wasn't enough to sway him, and as his mom said, he starts making his own decisions today. So, we all met at Victoria's Mexican Restaurant for a good get together and to celebrate Julian finishing high school.

In addition to Julian's immediate family being there, Carolyn and I were, as well as his paternal grandmother and an aunt, who had come in from north Alabama for the event.

The ceremony that Julian chose to miss was held in the football stadium, which means it was outside with the heat and bugs. There was a big crowd there for a graduating class of about 200 seniors. The activities didn't start until 2000 hours and weren't finished until almost 2300 hours. It's too bad the area doesn't have a place inside that could be used for activities like this.

Although Carolyn and I would have been there for the ceremony, neither of us feel like we missed anything except mosquitoes and heat. Julian is a good person and we are proud of him. We told Julian the only limits he has are the ones he places on himself. Never accept the limits that someone else places on you.

Carolyn needed a haircut, but wasn't up to doing it herself. She doesn't like to go to a beauty salon because she's seldom happy with the results. Today was typical, as she fumed about the quality of the cut most of the afternoon until she trimmed it a little. I, on the other hand, got exactly what I asked for. The only thing is that I didn't expect it to be so short. That barber put me in a choke hold, and by the time I was dumped out of the chair, I had hardly any hair left. It has been many years since my hair was so short (when I was in the Navy), but Carolyn said she liked it. I guess I do, too. I might as well, since it's too late to do anything about it. At least Carolyn should be able to cut it from now on. That is if I decide to keep it this short. If anyone thinks I'm exaggerating, try a length of about 1/4 inch all over. I don't think I asked for it to be that short. Of course, it will be cooler, and easier to take care of. I can get rid of my comb.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Brunswick, Georgia: Shrimp Capitol Of The World

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: