Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday Newspaper

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 75 degrees, high 98 degrees, partly cloudy skies

See what the weather was today? That's typical of spring and summer in Florida, with the occasional rain shower. Why do I include spring with summer? Because there's no difference in the two seasons in Florida.

Years ago, I got my daily news and sports fix like most people - by reading the daily newspaper. Over the last ten years or so, I hardly ever buy a newspaper, getting the news over the Internet. Occasionally, I'll go pick up a Sunday paper because there may be something in it that I want to see, or I just want to experience holding a newspaper in my hands again. Today, I wanted to hold a newspaper, and here's the result.



Hold on a minute. Carolyn's telling me to get my mess off the floor.

Okay, I'm back. Part of the fun of reading a physical newspaper is holding it. Even better is dropping the sections on the floor as I finish reading it. When Terri and Lori were kids, we would all read the newspaper on Sunday morning, and then a free for all would take place when we would make up newspaper bats and start hitting each other. Of course, I always got the worse end of the game as everyone would gang up on me. It was great fun that I still think of from time to time.

Because of people like me that get their news and sports from the Internet or television, the old style newspaper is going away. Many of the newspapers have gone out of business or cut back, and some have even started selling their services via the Internet. There has been some lobbying by the more liberal folks to have Congress (read that to mean the taxpayers) subsidize the newspapers so they don't go out of business. I think that if they can't adapt to a new way of business, they should go away. That's the model our economy has operated on for many, many years. Those who change, survive. Those who can't or won't change, disappear.

Wow, I didn't think reading the Sunday newspaper for the first time in several years would bring back the memories that it has, or the strong feelings I have about the way our economy is going.

Since it was Sunday and I spent a good part of the day reading the newspaper, we didn't do much today except visit Carolyn's mother. I had more respiratory problems last night and most of today, finally feeling better late in the day. I hope I feel better tonight. It seems like my problems wait until it's time to go to bed.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Port Clinton, Ohio: Walleye Capital Of The World

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: