Thursday, July 1, 2010

I'm Back!!!!

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 73 degrees, high 90 degrees, cloudy, rain

The last time I posted to the blog was Sunday, 6/27/10. Early the next day on Monday, I had to go to the emergency room for several medical issues I was having. We don't have a doctor in this area, and I was not in a condition that would allow us to travel back to Texas to see our doctor.

My primary ailment was a carryover from being sick with an upper respiratory illness that I had in March. I wen to a doctor for that, and got better. However, the problem didn't go away completely, and I saw our family doctor in May. At that time, I was diagnosed with asthma, and started treatment for that.

We went back to Bay City for our grandson's high school graduation, and I thought the asthma was getting under control. From Bay City, we came to Florida to visit family, where I thought I felt the treatment for the asthma was no longer doing any good, but was too hard headed to see a doctor here about it.

The respiratory issues continued along, not getting any better, but not worse, I thought. Last Friday, I started having more problems breathing, but thought the weather might be causing the difficulties. Over the weekend, I was feeling worse every day, until when I got up Monday morning, when I knew I needed help in a major way. That's when I went to the emergency room.

I walked in the emergency room and saw many people sitting around, waiting to see a doctor or for family members that were being cared for. I almost turned around and went home to call around to the local doctors to see if I could see one of them. Luckily for me, one of the people working in the area noticed me and asked if she could help me. I told her the problems I was having, and within ten minutes I was being examined by a nurse, who notified her co-workers that I needed immediate help. Thank God!

I was placed in an examination area, where all kinds of tests were performed, x-rays were taken, and before I knew it, I was being admitted to the cardiac care unit. By the time all the tests were finished and the doctors had talked among themselves, I was diagnosed with pneumonia in both lungs, and some issues with my heart that will not require surgery. I have been treated for those problems since I was admitted, and was released to go home late this afternoon. I have several medicines to take, and will have to undergo a life change as far as diet is concerned. Salt is now an enemy of mine, and I will have to be aware of the sodium content of everything I eat. Bummer! That's okay, I'll do whatever it takes to not have to go through something like this again.

I have followup appointments with all the doctors who treated me that will last over the next month. So, it looks like we'll be here in Ocala for awhile. In the meantime, Carolyn gets to spend more time with her mother. And, we'll spend more time visiting old haunts from our past life in Florida.

If there's one thing I've learned from this misadventure, it's that I shouldn't keep putting off seeing a doctor when I'm sick. I may have had the pneumonia since March, and haven't really felt good since then.

More later, be safe.

Today's Time - Aliceville, Alabama: A Great Place To Call Home

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad yoy are feeling better not a fun thing and a learning process to listen to your body.
terrell & kathy

Jerald said...

I've got a ways to go to get back to 100%, but at least I'm getting better.

Jerald