Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Frog Strangler

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 71 degrees, high 83 degrees, mostly cloudy skies, heavy showers in the afternoon

We had to go to the grocery store this afternoon, and got caught in a real frog strangler of a rain. It's rained almost every day for more than a week, and today's was the hardest. Florida averages well over 50 inches of rain every year, and with the way it's been raining, I think they'll equal that or more this year.

The main reason we went to the grocery store was to get some hamburger for homemade hamburgers. It's been almost two weeks since we had one, and anyone that follows the blog knows that we are hamburger connoisseurs. With my restrictions on eating much sodium, we can't go to a restaurant to get a good old juicy hamburger. So, we figured out what the sodium content would be if we fixed them at home, and it looks as though with alternative seasonings, we can have a pretty decent hamburger. In fact, I would say it was better than decent, it was outstanding. You can't beat a homemade hamburger! And we made enough so we can have one for lunch tomorrow.

This was a day for taking care of some housekeeping stuff, like washing clothes, dusting the furniture, and anything else Carolyn could reach. I took care of the clothes washing, and it was nice to be able to do that sort of little task again. It's funny how I was missing doing the little things that help us get through each day.

Our door lock is acting up on us, being difficult to open most of the time from the outside. I thought I had some graphite that I could shoot into the lock to loosen it up a little, but like many things that are not used fairly often, the graphite has disappeared. It's on my list of things to get when I go back to the WalMart Mall.

When we bought a few groceries last Friday, we looked all over the store for a dessert that wouldn't blow my low sodium diet out of the water. When we were about ready to give up, Carolyn found a coconut cake that fit the bill for us. Each day, we have had a small piece as a treat for having to eat like we are. Which, I might add, is not as bad as I thought it would be. Getting back to the cake, we're almost eaten the whole thing, with only the small piece left in the picture.



Since it would be unfair to allow this small piece of cake to grow up by itself, and I haven't had any today, I'm going to eat it when I publish the blog. Ummm, boy!

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Hoquiam, Washington: Gray’s Harbor’s Friendliest City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: