Monday, July 12, 2010

Sonny's

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 73 degrees, high 93 degrees, mostly cloudy skies, humid (what's new?)

My morning walks continue to get a little longer. It seems the better I feel, the more I want to get outside and get some exercise. Maybe I'll be back to normal in about, oh, three months. Just kidding. If the weather wasn't so humid, I would probably be walking as far as I usually did before getting sick.

I mentioned in an earlier post that when I was released from the hospital, I was advised to keep my sodium intake as low as possible. That was the wrong thing for Carolyn to hear, because she knew I would take what was said as gospel. I usually have the self discipline to do whatever the doctors tell me to do, so she knew I would probably go overboard on reducing the sodium from my diet. And I did. At the rate I'm going with this diet, I should lose enough weight to disappear from the earth in about nine months. Just a little poof! and I'm outta here.

We talked about what we could do to modify the diet, yet still meet the intent of what the doctors want me to do. Now, it's important to know that Carolyn decided she was going to eat the same diet as me. As she said, she wasn't going to become a short order cook, cooking for at least two different diets at the same time.

Well, the time has come that this low sodium diet has gotten old for Carolyn. She said she needed a break from it, at least for one meal. She kept talking about how much she would like some bar-b-que. In this area, the best bar-b-que is from Sonny's. I suggested she go with her sister for lunch, but she said she would feel guilty for going without me. Of course, I would never play on that guilt. Nah!

Throughout the day, Carolyn continued her whining about how much she wanted something different. Finally, I took pity on her and called Sonny's to find out what the sodium content was on their sliced beef and pork. What a surprise! The sliced beef had 90 milligrams of sodium per serving, while the sliced pork had 105 milligrams per serving. Those are low numbers.

So, I decided to take Carolyn to Sonny's for supper. It's tough hearing a grown woman whine about food.

It felt strange walking in the restaurant. Today was the first time in any sort of restaurant in more than two weeks. I decided to splurge and have the sliced pork for 15 milligrams of sodium more than the beef. With a baked potato served with sour cream (no butter), cole slaw, and a corn muffin and ice water, I had a good meal for a very low sodium total. The sliced pork was eaten without sauce until the last two bites when I added a few drops of sweet sauce. Ummmm, umm, good!

The best thing about going to Sonny's today is that Carolyn's happy again. A bonus may be that I won't go poof! quite as soon as I forecasted.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Nashville, Tennessee: The Protestant Vatican

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: