Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New Back Roads

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 76 degrees, high 97 degrees, mostly clear skies

Carolyn had a second day in a row of no vertigo symptoms. That's something that happens so rarely that I can't remember the last time it happened. So, what did that mean to our day? Why, we were out and about again!

Our little trek today took us back to the northwest part of the county, down roads we didn't even know existed until we found them today. These roads were typical of most of the little back country roads here: horse farms, huge oak trees with moss, tree tunnels over the road, piney woods, beautiful pastures. And everything is so green. After living in Texas for many years, it's still amazing to us how green everything is here.

We have a habit when we find a new road of driving on the road to see where it goes. That led us today across the country, around curves and up and down hills, and suddenly we were in the outskirts of the southern part of Gainesville. How did we get there? I have no idea, but we enjoyed the drive. According to the odometer on the truck, it only took us 17 miles to get to Gainesville from where we started out in Marion County.

One thing we noticed today was that even with all the people who moved to Florida in the last 20 years is the fact that there is still plenty of vacant land when you get away from the towns and cities. Of course, that doesn't make it cheap, as the average price seems to be $10,000 to $50,000 per acre. Ouch!

Have you ever gotten tired of something to the point that you're ready to scream if you have to do it one more time? That's about the way I felt about the low sodium diet that I've been on for the last three plus weeks. I have been very good with the diet, and even the doctor said I was overdoing it a little. Today, we decided to try a new restaurant that we hadn't been to before, Sam's St John's Seafood Restaurant. I told the server that I was a low sodium diet, and asked her if they had anything that I could eat without getting an overdose of sodium. Surprise, they do, and she named several items with little or no sodium that fit the bill for me. I decided to have their fried shrimp (very little breading), french fries (no sodium), cole slaw (no sodium), and hush puppies, which I gave to Carolyn. It was so GOOD! Maybe we can find a couple more restaurants that work so I can get a break from what we've been fixing. Carolyn does a good job preparing things that are low sodium, but we are limited in room to cook. If I get a break at least once a week, I think I can handle it.

Okay, enough of the whining.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Cullman, Alabama: City Of Churches

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: