Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th Of July

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 72 degrees, high 80 degrees, mostly cloudy skies, scattered showers

Happy Birthday, America!

Our country is going through a rough time right now, and things may get worse before they get better. Many people are unemployed or underemployed, people are losing their homes, our government seems to be hellbent on bankrupting our country, and we're stuck in a war that it seems our leaders don't want us to win. We've had it just as rough before as a country, and we've always overcome all problems. It may be a little harder this time, but I believe the majority of Americans are unhappy with the direction we're going as a country, and will take the necessary steps to turn the situation around, starting with the elections this fall.

I'm not naive enough to believe that a wholesale change of the idiots in Washington who are supposed to be representing us will solve all our problems. Some bad apples will slip through, regardless of how diligent the voters are. After all, being a politician means they say what they think people want to hear, rather than what they will sell out for. We have to have hope that we elect enough good people who truly care about our country and the direction we're going, and that they do the right things.

Whew! I didn't know I was going to take off on that when I sat down to write this post to the blog. I feel better.

It seems most of the stuff in the blog lately is about my medical issues. I apologize for not having more real RV stuff to talk about. Of course, taking care of a person's health is more important than telling everyone I dumped the holding tanks. It's probably obvious that the last week scared us, but we know it served us well in making us take our health more seriously. We thought we were fairly healthy, but there's no doubt we were probably fooling ourselves. At least I was. I thought getting as much as exercise as I was and eating fairly decently would keep me more healthy than the average person. Hah!!

We look at things differently now, especially with respect to how we eat. Before I got sick, we ate out more often than we should, without any thoughts to whether it was good for us. Oh, we would think about what we should have to eat, and usually picked the lower fat foods, but prepared foods away from home are just about always higher than they need to be in all the bad stuff for us. Like fat, sugar, sodium/salt, etc. As of today, I haven't eaten out in a week. Part of that week was spent in the hospital, but since I've gotten out, we have done whatever we need to do so we eat at home. It's more work for Carolyn, and creates more for me since I wash the dishes. The important thing is that we know we're eating more healthy, which should help make us healthier.

We went out for a ride this afternoon, and found one of the beautiful roads that has big oak trees growing over the road, much like a tunnel. With the weather like it is today, it was too cloudy and dark to get a picture of the tunnel, but I'll try to get one later on.

The fireworks started here last night, and we've been hearing them all day long. Is it my imagination that the fireworks are getting louder? Some of them seem to shake the ground.

I took a leisurely short walk this morning, walking much like I was an old man. It went pretty good, so this afternoon, I repeated the walk for the same distance. I didn't come close to walking like I used to, but I was glad to get out in the humidity. Right.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Dodge City: The Wickedest Little City In America

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: