Saturday, July 17, 2010

Memories Of Silver Springs

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 74 degrees, high 98 degrees, partly cloudy skies

As much as I complain about how busy the WalMart Mall gets on the weekend, you would think that I would go buy groceries during the week. Nope, that's too simple. One thing I did do today was go to the Mall early. It wasn't quite as busy, and I only took about 30 minutes total for what I needed.

The Mall I usually go to is near Silver Springs. As I was driving back through Silver Springs on my way home, I was overwhelmed with memories of what Silver Springs used to be like. Back when we lived here years ago, Silver Springs was one of the most popular family destinations in the state. Tommy Bartlett had a deer ranch, Ross Allen had a reptile show where he milked rattlesnakes and wrestled alligators, and the glass bottom boats showed off the clear water from the springs. The water was full of fish, and there was a swimming area that people could use to enjoy the cool water in the summer.

At that time, there were several motels in Silver Springs, and they were all busy in the summer. I noticed today that the Silver Springs attraction doesn't seem to get as many people as they used to, so the motels are mostly empty. One of them across from the springs has been repossessed and will be auctioned later this month.

It looks as though the handwriting was on the wall for the area businesses as soon as Disney World opened near Orlando. Many other tourist attractions followed Disney World, and now the Orlando area is probably the premier destination for family attractions in the world. As a result, Silver Springs has become a backwater for tourism. It's a little sad.

When I was in my last two years of high school, I worked as a bellhop at the Thunderbird Motel. I keep surprising you, don't I?

Over the years, the old Thunderbird Motel underwent name changes and remodeling until it looks like the picture below.



I met some interesting people when working at the Thunderbird. Two of those people stand out, including Tom Adams, the Florida Secretary of State. The one I remember most was Robert Kennedy. His wife Ethel was with him, and she had a news magazine with her that had Kennedy's picture on the front cover. Rich man, right? Well, he was one of the biggest cheapskates I served, only giving me a dime tip for taking their bags in and getting ice, as well as a newspaper. He had to go through all his pockets to find that dime.

It's funny the things I remember.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Vidor, Texas: Home Of The Texas Bar-B-Q Festival

Not all who wander are lost.

1 comment:

tuatara said...

I love that story about Robert Kennedy. :)