Monday, July 5, 2010

Country Road Tree Tunnel

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 73 degrees, high 90 degrees, mostly cloudy skies

I wrote in an earlier post about the trees growing over many of the country roads in this area. Here's one we saw today while on a short drive today through part of the horse country northwest of Ocala.



This tunnel is not as impressive as some we've seen, but it'll do.

We found one scene that resembled some of the hill country in Texas, but it was so cloudy that the light was bad. The main difference between Texas and what we saw today is that this countryside is so green, while in Texas it's usually brown. And, there are plenty of rocks in Texas. Not so here, where there's so much sand.

Speaking of sand, there's an old Florida cracker saying that once you get the Florida sand in your shoes, you'll always come back. I would add that the old saying might be true if a caveat is added: if you can stand the heat. We've been fortunate that over the holiday weekend, the temperatures are lower than normal. That means it's about time to get blasted by the summer sun.

My recovery from the hospital stay continued today, and I seem to be able to sleep a little better each night. I checked the side effects of the medicines that have been prescribed for me, and found that most of them cause sleeplessness to varying degrees. I guess I'm lucky to get any sleep at all.

When I went for a short walk (real short, compared to what it was before getting sick), I extended the length of yesterday's walk by about 1/4 mile. That's not much compared to what I was doing, but I'm not pushing things. Actually, it feels good to not be driving myself. In the past, I felt I had to walk at least a certain distance in order to get what I needed out the walk. Not any more, at least for now. I just feel fortunate to be able to do what I am.

I checked the status of the leaks that I repaired in the basement last week, and it seems the repairs are still holding. I'll wait another day or two and then put everything back together. Considering how much we've traveled, it's a wonder we haven't had more leaks in the plumbing.

I'm rambling a little now, so I think I'll close for the day.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Grapevine, Texas: Vintage Texas

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: