Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Medical Anomalies

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 74 degrees, high 96 degrees, partly cloudy skies

The first of three doctor appointments (I thought!) was this morning at 0930 hours. I was there about 45 minutes early so I could fill out any paperwork. I was surprised to find I only had two sheets to fill out, and they only took about three minutes to do. Well, that was a change from what I'm used to. Maybe this new doctor is going to be okay.

My first impression was reinforced when I was called to see the doctor a few minutes later. After his nurse took more information, including what medicine I was using, the doctor came in. We had met when I was in the hospital, and at that time he said he would like to see me after I had been out of the hospital a week or two. He and I went through what caused me to be in the hospital to start with, and then he went into why he wanted to see me now.

It seems that he saw some anomalies in the x-rays and other tests that were performed
when I was in the hospital. He felt that the anomalies were of the type that warranted further tests and reviews, including any test results that he could get from my doctors in Texas. Before I left the office, I signed permission for the test results from Texas to be sent here for comparison.

I had a lot of questions for the doctor, and he was open and frank with his answers. Based on what he knows so far, I don't have anything wrong that I have to worry about keeling over unexpectedly. He said that the anomalies he saw concerned him enough that he wants to have them answered before he releases me. That means the information from Texas should be in his office overnight. Tomorrow, I have to go back to the office and have another EKG performed as well as more blood work. Then, I have an appointment with him in four weeks, unless they call sooner.

Overall, the meeting with the doctor was positive. I like the way he explains what he is doing, and he takes as much time as needed to answer questions. One really good thing that came out of seeing him is that he said I didn't have to restrict the sodium in my diet as much as I have. The RDA for sodium is about 2500 milligrams, and he said to be aware of my sodium intake, and not exceed 2000 milligrams a day. He explained what too much sodium does to the body, so now I will be able to recognize the warning signs that tell me I'm starting to retain fluid caused by sodium.

I knew I was probably overdoing it, so now I can take Carolyn out to eat once in a while. That made her day.

When we lived in Florida many years ago, we enjoyed the watermelons that are grown here. Before I got sick, I bought a nice one that we finally cut today. Wow! It was outstanding. Sweet and firm, perfectly ripe, and seedless. It was the first watermelon I have eaten in about 30 years. I think we'll get another one in a week or so, after we finish eating what we saved in the refrigerator today.

Carolyn's getting good at cooking the low sodium method. She prepared a nice roast with gravy, rice, and English peas for supper. It was very tasty, even without regular salt. We'll continue to use as little sodium as possible, with a reward meal outside the home occasionally.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Gatlinburg, Tennessee: Gateway To The Smokies

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: