Monday, October 27, 2008

Cooler Weather Coming

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 48 degrees, high 60 degrees, clear skies, windy

About 0500 hours this morning, we had a gust of wind hit the RV that shook it and howled around the corner. Apparently, that was about the time that a front passed through the area. It was a dry front bringing the coolest weather of the season, with lows forecast of 35 degrees tonight and 31 degrees on Tuesday night. When the wind is added, it really feels chilly. Brrrrr!

I find that these cooler mornings encourage me to stay in the bed longer. It's hard to get out of the warm bed when I don't have much to do, so I just dog it for a little while. Of course, as I said in an earlier post, a lifetime of habit is hard to break, so for me to stay in the bed past 0600 or 0700 hours is really late. In addition, there is not much for me to do at the house at this time, so I don't have to rush out there to get things done.

Yesterday, we were given some turnip greens by our landlord. Today, we went to the house and did all the preps to put the greens in the freezer. The house has a lot more room for that type of activity. Since we had to go check the house anyway, it worked out perfectly. Putting the vegetables in the freezer is some work, but they will be good when the weather is cold outside and fresh vegetables are just a memory.

While we were at the house, I noticed that the door to the shop kept blowing open in the wind. When I checked it, I saw that the striker plate on the door jamb needed to be adjusted. After doing the adjustment, everything worked like a charm. That's the type of maintenance I have to do on the property now, along with keeping the yard looking good. By the way, the armadillos have not returned. Maybe the moth balls have done the trick.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - San Francisco, California: The City That Knows How

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You disappoint me, don't you believe in Forrest Gump, one of the true heros of our time? Lord knowes we don't have that many we can look up to now.

Jerald said...

Okay, I'm convinced there is a Greenbow, Alabama. We're planning a trip there, and I 'll post our findings.

Jerald