Friday, October 17, 2008

Rainy Day, Boiling Peanuts

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 59 degrees, high 64 degrees, rain until about noon, clearing late in the afternoon

We woke to rain, which was much needed by the area. The rain was steady until noon, but was not heavy enough to puddle. As a result, all of it soaked in. I needed to finish the mowing, but it will wait until tomorrow.

We boiled more peanuts, and now we have placed 15 quarts in the freezer. We continue to be hampered by the size of our pots, because we only have one that is of any size. We're using four pots, but three of them are small. Based on what we have already cooked, we estimate we have about 15 more quarts to cook. Buying the bushel was a real bargain.

We had another party looking at the house this afternoon. No information tonight as to whether there is any more interest in it. I don't think we could have picked a worse time to place the house on the market. Of course, there are plenty of other folks in the same situation. A year ago, the house wouldn't have been on the market more than a month. The economy in this area still seems to be stable, but I think all the bad economic news is affecting people's spending. I know that we would be thinking twice if we were in the market for a house.

While in Ocala this past week, I happened to find five generations of a family together at one time. That is a rare occurrence in this era of families living far apart. The five generations included Carolyn's mother Doris, her oldest son Billy, Billy's daughter Judy, Judy's daughters Belinda, Ashelee, and Lexyia, and Belinda's daughter, Madisyn. Below is a picture of the happy occasion.



More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Russellville, Alabama: A Great Place To Call Home

Not all who wander are lost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully Judy at least will read this and pass along a Hello and we miss everyone from me and Thomas.

I can't believe 5 generations in one photo! And Judy still looks like a kid that I remember from years ago (a compliment by the way). All of you look great. I still have the list of email addresses somewhere around here although as I'm sure you all have heard, my life has been turned upside down since I last saw all of you. Mom & Dad have my new email address. I would love to catch up and keep in touch.

Love and miss all of you.
Terri and Thomas
P.S. I'm officially a Simmons again!