Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Calmer Winds

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 66 degrees in Taylor, Texas, high 78 degrees in Bay City, Texas, cloudy skies, light winds, scattered showers

When we first got up this morning, it looked as though we would have to spend another day in Taylor, waiting for the wind to abate. About 0700 hours, the wind seemed to almost stop blowing. We took a chance that the wind was calm or nearly calm along our travel route to Bay City, and left Taylor about 0830 hours. About the only weather event of any consequence was scattered showers along the travel route. We were glad to see the wind stop blowing so hard.

The trip to Bay City was uneventful, except for a mass bluebonnet sighting along Texas 71 between LaGrange and Columbus. It was a beautiful sight to see, and mixed in with the bluebonnets were primroses and Indian paint brushes. For those who have never been to Texas in the spring, the hill country puts on a glorious show of wild flowers that we have not seen anywhere else.

We called Riverside Park in Bay City to see if our reservation had been found, and it had. I asked for a certain site, but couldn't get it because of a bar-b-que cook-off taking many of the sites. We actually got a better site than what we had asked for. The cook-off is being held by a department at the company I retired from, so maybe I will see some old friends. And, just maybe, I can get some samples of bar-b-que.

We pulled into our site and set up the RV. That is, we thought we had set it up. Everything was blocked up, the slides were out, power and water hooked up. All done, right? Wrong!! When I walked inside, I thought I was going to slide down the hill. We were nowhere near level, side to side. Now, how did that happen? Okay, pull the slides in, disconnect everything, hook up the truck, pull forward, pull down some blocks on the road side, back up onto the blocks, put the jacks down, put the slides out, and we're level. Hmmm. Another lesson learned.

I called our CPA, and I have an appointment in the morning to go over our taxes with him. He has done our taxes for almost 20 years, so it'll be nice to see him. We usually have a good conversation, and I'm sure he will have some comments about the financial condition of our country, as well as the economy. I hope I get out of there with enough money to keep traveling.

We expect to spend a lot of time with our daughter Lori and her family when they're not working or in school. We'll also see my brother Terrell and his wife Kathy if they've made it back from one of their trips. And, it would be nice if I can see some of my old friends while here. Maybe a round or two of golf. So, a lot on the plate for the next week or so.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Giddings, Texas: Experience Hometown Hospitality

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: