Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Sad Day

Georgetown, Texas

Weather: low 70 degrees, high 85 degrees, mostly cloudy, windy

This morning, we received a telephone call from my cousin Kenny's wife. Last night, Kenny passed away while on a job in Mississippi. The news was a shock to us. Kenny and I always got along well, working together at one time. I can remember many times when we were younger that our families celebrated holidays and family gatherings together. Over the last several years, the only times we seemed to get together was at funerals. As I have said many times, this modern life seems to spread families around too much. If at all possible, I will be going to the funeral, which will probably be late this next week.

I called my brothers and sisters and passed on the news about Kenny. They were as shocked as I was. The rest of the day seemed to have a cloud placed over it.

Once I recovered from the sad news, I knew we would have to start making plans to go to the funeral. We gathered up the laundry and I took it to the laundromat. When I got home, we started a list of tasks we need to do to make the trip. Since it is over 1100 miles to Kenny's home, and we are supposed to pick up the new RV on Wednesday, I will probably catch a plane there and back. It's not likely Carolyn will go because of her vertigo. Her doctors have advised her to not fly because of the condition.

None of us knows when our time to pass on will come. The same holds for family and friends. We try to see family and friends whenever we can, because they are important to us. Every time we see them may be the last time. We should cherish the ones we love and that love us, and live every day as though it is our last one.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Greenville, South Carolina: The Textile Capital Of The World

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: