Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Satellite System Is Working

Taylor, Texas

Weather: low 47 degrees, high 84 degrees, clear skies

We started the day determined to get the satellite dish working or else find someone who could. My trip to Radio Shack yesterday was a complete bust, as none of the stuff that the salesman suggested I use worked on our system. I took those parts back and got a refund.

Prior to going into town, I looked on the Internet for Dish Network retailers in Taylor. Little did I know that the one I picked to stop at was the best possible choice I could have made to help us get our system going. This technician has set up systems for many of the movie producers that produce movies in the Austin and central Texas area. He has worked for several movie stars and singers, including Dennis Quaid and Johnny Knoxville.

When I walked into the store, the technician's mother was waiting on people at the counter. I told her what I needed, and she called her son to the front from where he was working in the back shop area. After explaining what I needed, I asked him if he thought he could help us. He said yes. The next question from me was when did he think he could come out to the RV. He asked me if I wanted to do it right then. My reaction to myself was "Is this guy kidding?" I mean, prompt service is almost forgotten anymore. Who helps someone as soon as they ask for help in this day and time?

While I waited, the technician got together a bunch of different parts, then followed me out to Lake Granger. With a quick look at what we have, he set to work. About 20 minutes later, we were in business. This guy was good!! There is no way that I could have done what he did, especially as quickly as he did it. At the end of the job, he offered some suggestions to improve our system. If we do the suggestions, this technician is the one I want to do it.

After the technician left, I took care of a few little chores, then set up the satellite system. Now, we have about 200 channels on the satellite system, plus about 40 channels more using the antenna on the RV. I would never have dreamed that digital TV would allow us to see so many channels with the antenna. On the old RV, the antenna might allow us to see 2-3 channels.

Just when we thought everything was hunky dory, a little kid running through our campsite got caught up in the cable running from the satellite dish to the RV. That messed up the connection at the dish, but I can repair that tomorrow. GRRRRRRR!!

So far, (cross my fingers) we have not had any problems with the new home. Well, other than the handle for the kitchen faucet being loose and falling off. That was easily fixed by us, and if that's the worse we have to deal with, we're happy.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Navajo, Arizona: Proudly Serving, Continuously Improving

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: