Saturday, March 7, 2009

Winter Is Over

Georgetown, Texas

Weather: low 66 degrees, high 84 degrees, cloudy, windy

Have you ever had a day when you feel like you can't get going? That was the kind of day I had, up until about 1100 hours. At that time, Carolyn got tired of me just slouching around, and asked if we could get out for a little while. Little did she know what she was asking for or getting into.

Since we hadn't been to Round Rock, we decided to go check it out. Now that we've been there, I don't think we will go again. Round Rock is not our kind of place. It is growing like crazy with a population near 100,000 people, traffic is bad, the roads don't seem to be keeping up with the traffic, and there's just too much scurrying and bustling for us. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be any sign of a recession here. For those who don't know, Round Rock is located near Austin, and the corporate headquarters for Dell Computers is here. I'm sure the town is a fine place to live, and I don't want to put any one's home down, but we like the smaller towns better.

Once we had enough of the traffic and rough streets in Round Rock, we decided to head west to get into some less busy areas. Somehow, we got turned around on our direction (and this is with a compass in the truck) and found ourselves southwest of Austin at Bee Cave. Our route took us through some beautiful country, including the Lake Travis area. Some of the most beautiful hills we have seen in Texas are in that area. So, a turn the wrong way allowed us to see that area, when if we had gone the direction we thought we were, we would have missed it. There's usually something good that comes out of a mistake, if we look at it the right way.

We turned around at Bee Cave and started back to the north, looking for Texas 183, which would take us near Georgetown. Eventually, we got on to 183, and stayed on it until we were north of Leander, where we took some ranch roads across to Georgetown and back home. When all of that was over, I felt we had earned the right to slouch around the rest of the day.

One thing we saw that was interesting that I'm not sure I would have done was people having their pictures taken while sitting on the back of a big long horn steer. These cattle are big, but what's even more impressive is their horns. Check out what the typical long horn steer and cow looks like. The ones we saw today looked bigger than the ones in the pictures.
















Every year, there's a big fuss made over a fat groundhog up in Pennsylvania. Supposedly, this fat groundhog can forecast how much longer winter will last. I'm not sure what the accuracy of this groundhog is, but I know a surefire way to tell when winter is actually over. Just watch me. When I start wearing walking shorts again, winter is officially over. That means as of today, winter is over, because I wore my walking shorts. Now, the reverse is also true. When I start wearing long pants again, summer will be finished. Just keep your eye on me.

Two years ago, a dear friend passed on. We miss her. We love you, Lola.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Round Rock, Texas: The Sports Capital Of Texas

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure you have seen the 4 longhorns in the neighbood you used to live in if i knew how to send pics on this website i would send you some but i am sure you remember just as you are leaving your old neighborhood in bay city.

Jerald said...

I remember them well.

Jerald