Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Traveling To South Carolina

Pelzer, South Carolina

Weather: low in Georgetown, Texas 70 degrees, high in Pelzer, South Carolina 75 degrees, clear skies

The day started early, with me being out and on the road by 0630 hours. I wanted to get an early start to the airport in Austin in case I had problems of some sort. I may have left home a little early, but at least I didn't have to rush, and had no problems. Actually, it was surprising how easy the trip was. Traffic was heavy, but moved right along, and the signs directing how to get to the airport were easy to follow. I had a couple hours to wait, but it has been two years since I have flown. It seemed harder getting through security the last time, and I wanted to make sure I didn't cut it too close.

We have rescheduled picking up the new RV to Thursday. Just when it seemed like it would never rain here again, it is supposed to rain on Thursday and for the next several days. That will make it difficult to swap out our stuff from one RV to the other, but we'll work through it. At least we should know whether we have any leaks before leaving this area. The forecast is for up to five inches of rain over several days.

I mentioned that Carolyn was staying at home while I went to the funeral in South Carolina for my cousin Kenny. She has problems with vertigo that she has learned how to control most of the time. Her doctors have recommended that she not travel by airplane because of the vertigo. I try to keep an eye on her to make sure she's not doing anything that would cause her to hurt herself. Obviously, I will be concerned about her while I'm in South Carolina. We talked about what she will do if she has problems while I'm gone.

At one time, I enjoyed traveling by air. Over the years, I grew tired of the cramped seats, the check-in procedures, fighting the traffic, the parking, and all the other things that make flying such a hassle. Give me our RV way of life with a slow pace that we can control as we see fit. If we want to stay in one place, we do it. If we want to move down the road to a new place, hitch up and go. We move as fast or slow as we like. In most instances, the pace is slow. And have you checked the price of traveling by air lately? Especially if you have to fly on the spur of the moment.

I arrived in Greenville, South Carolina about 1600 hours. That gave me time to check into a hotel and rest a few minutes before going to the funeral home for the viewing. What a sad time that was. I saw several relatives I hadn't seen for some time, and we caught up with what everyone has been doing. We also did some remembering of good times with family. It's too bad that it seems like the only time I see many relatives now is at times like this. Even with us traveling as we do, it is still difficult to see everyone as much as we would like.

Good night, Dear.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Anderson, South Carolina: The Friendliest City in South Carolina

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: