Monday, September 13, 2010

ANOTHER Doctor's Visit

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 73 degrees, high 97 degrees, mostly clear skies

My breathing problems are getting to be like an old record. I go to the doctor because I'm having problems breathing. He tries something new. I start feeling better. The doctor says let's see how you do over the next week or so. I call the doctor about a week later with the same old symptoms. I go back to the doctor.....

I've been fortunate in my life to be relatively healthy, allowing me to do just about anything I wanted. Now, with the problems I started having again over the last three days, I find it hard to take my morning walks. In addition, I have problems sleeping soundly because the breathing issues wake me up all through the night. I finally got up this morning at 0430 hours and stayed up the rest of the night. When I was working, 0430 hours was a normal time for waking up. I would rather not wake up so early now that I consider myself retired.

As a result of a visit to the doctor today, my medicine has been changed again, and I have an appointment on Wednesday with another doctor to discuss the problem. I have my fingers crossed that we will come up with a solution this time.

When we came to Florida in June, we expected to be here 2-3 weeks. Being hospitalized with pneumonia for four days put a crimp in our plans to spend our summer visiting the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We felt it was important to stay near the doctors who treated me for the pneumonia until they told me I was good to go. The problem is that every time I thought we were about ready to go, I would suffer another set back, requiring more doctor visits. So, here we are, and we still have hopes that we can go north for at least a short visit to Tennessee before cold weather sets in. This is frustrating, to say the least.

Since I felt so bad from lack of sleep and breathing problems, we didn't do much of anything today except try to stay cool. If my new medicine helps, maybe we can get out tomorrow. It doesn't take long for me to get cabin (or in this case, RV) fever.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Boston, Massachusetts: The Hub Of The Universe

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really sorry about your medical problems. There are few things in life more frustrating.

It is difficult not to stay with a particular doctor but sometimes it may be a benefit to go to a major medical center if you are not getting a positive progression. The Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville is not too many miles form your location in Ocala. The depth of their physician and medical experience may provide a more definitive answer to your breathing problems which are not ongoing for months.

Good luck with your decisions.. I Enjoy your blog and have been following for months.

Martin

Jerald said...

Thanks for your kind words. Carolyn and I have discussed what to do if this next doctor's visit tomorrow doesn't do me any good, and one scenario was to try something like the Mayo Clinic. I'm at the point where I want to get over this.

Jerald